Switch 5 Power Charging, get HOT on the screen back panel

Spectri
Spectri Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,

I just brought a new switch 5 on last weekend, and I have found out that when I am charging it during my work, the screen back panel will get super hot and when I pull out the charging plug it will back to normal temperature. I am curious that is this normal for the temperature get hot during charging ?? Please share your experience. Thank you

Spectri

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What is the SW5-??? full model number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PortCityServices
    PortCityServices Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, I'm having the same problem on the Switch I also bought this past week.  Any advice to cool it is appreciated.  With the charging cable plugged in the back of the screen is too hot to touch.  With the cable removed it's still warm but not nearly as hot as with the charger plugged in.

Specs are:
    Switch SA5-271P
    BIOS version V1.01
    MS W10 Pro 64-bit
    Intel Core i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50GHz
  • JackE
    Go to power settings. Put system on a balanced plan and adjust plugged-in brightness control to whatever it is on battery alone. I suggest 75% for both plugged in and battery alone to see if the temperature feels about the same when plugged in & battery alone. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PortCityServices
    PortCityServices Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks, much appreciated. I actually never changed the default balanced setting.
  • JackE
    OK. Does it cool down or stay hot if running plugged in when the screen is turned off? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Spectri
    Spectri Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi I actually change it to this level and it helps. It doesn't feel so hot compare to the first time I charging while on work. the back panel feel warm only. Thank you
  • danieltan23
    danieltan23 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    by the way, how long does your guys' switch takes to charge? mine seems to need over 3 hours while using it. seems very long compared to my yoga which had longer battery life as well
  • JackE
    danieltan23Depends on how you're using it and if the charger is a 45watt or 60 watt power output. For heavy gaming loads with screen brightness on high, more than 3 hours would be expected. For light loads with 50-75% screen brightness, less than 3 hours would be expected. Higher output adapters will decrease charging times. Comparing with a yoga, not knowing how its used, its adapter power output or its battery size, is like comparing an orange with a coconut.  :) Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ