Should I return a 2nd unit?

SatansTheory
SatansTheory Member Posts: 92 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So I got my replacement unit reinstalled ally games. Underclocking it to about 135.8 and i hit 97c playing sniper 4. The fan was not on max speeds .But I don't wanna have to have fans blazing on max speeds on everything I play because it thermap thorttles . Does anyone know a different laptop with a 1070 or 1080 .That takes m.2 drives and just everything I love about this .I would take it apart and repaste it but I'm still in full warrenty and don't wanna have to redownload everything on a 3rd laptop for it not to work . 

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    I also have an Asus GL703GS i7 8750H, GTX 1070, 32GB, NVMe SSD & HDD 17.3" 144Hz newer and more powerful than my Predator 17 i7 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32Gb, SATA SSD & HDD also lighter, fans are more powerful & noisier.  No throttling, don't normally need max fans/performance, also has a silent mode that reduces performance.

That said I have no issue with the Predator 17 plays the Witcher 3 on ultra perfectly at around 80C - 85C.  Looking at the CPU core temperature differential would benefit from the TIM being repasted and more careful fitting of the heatsink.

Asus W10 home 1803 - Undervolt -140mV due to the Silent profile that reduces CPU power, balanced & Overboost profiles CPU stable at -150mV
    Acer W10 Pro 1803 - Undervolt -131mV

Remember if your ambient temperature is high it's much harder for the cooling system to pull down the CPU/GPU temp, Asus uses 3 12V in the GL703GS and on Overboost (full power to CPU, GPU OC, max fans) it can pull the CPU temp down from 90C to 70C under full load, equally you will be acutely aware of the fans, which is perfect for running simulations, rendering etc.  For gaming the Balanced or Silent profiles are far better, with Silent sacrificing some FPS and higher temperature for quiet operation.  

You can also try reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits in ThrottleStop FIVR, try dropping 4 Cores to 32, 3 Cores to 33, 2 Cores to 34.  Vast majority of games simply don't need a quad core i7 running at max frequency, better to dial it down a little and have lower thermal's and less stress on the notebook.

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    It normally stays within the 80-85c but I need my family fans on max and only one core got to 97c the rest stayed around 91. I can keep going lower on the under clocking side .the ambient is not bad when I first turn it on it's about 40c or so. I can keep the fans on high with a frost core and be fine. Over heating seems to be a problem in all mid tier gaming laptops
  • Queen6
    It normally stays within the 80-85c but I need my family fans on max and only one core got to 97c the rest stayed around 91. I can keep going lower on the under clocking side .the ambient is not bad when I first turn it on it's about 40c or so. I can keep the fans on high with a frost core and be fine. Over heating seems to be a problem in all mid tier gaming laptops

It's not so much they are overheating, it's your expectation is high.  Vast majority of gaming notebook will run between 80C - 85C underload with the i7 7700HQ.  The new i7 8750H seems to have better thermals, equally the notebooks with good thermals have far more complex & robust cooling solutions to cool the new hex core CPU.

Ambient temp is the air temp, with an idle of 40C guessing around 26C which would be about the same as mine here.  Elevate the rear of the notebook an inch or more and dial back the Turbo Ratio Limits and it will run cooler.  Closer the CPU is to max Turbo frequency the more power it draws and generates significantly more heat in the process.  ThrottleStop has profiles for this purpose, so you can reduce performance when it's not required or problematic.

Another significant factor is the GPU which can also be undervolted with MSI Afterburner, however it's more complex than the CPU, personally I don't as long as performance is not compromised and temperature is reasonable peaking at sat 85C.  If wanting a i7 7700HQ notebook to run in the 70C region under full load you'll need to be prepared to do both physical & software mods with results varying dependant on design.

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    I'm fine with 80-85c it's when they reach 94 and up. That's not full load just running sniper elite I had 3 system lockups and one instance it hit 97c. Room temp is around 70f and I use a cooler underneath boh systems. I guess my expectations are high I just want something portable with a 17inch that's powerful I love the desgin of this system just not sure why I'm getting system locks on this system and not my other one .has anyone tried bios 1.14? 
  • Queen6
    edited June 2018
    70F is around 21C, my Predator 17 has been running all day, with Apps open idle temp is around 38C/100F, ambient air temp 26C/79F, stock thermal paste, -130.9mV undervolt, full Turbo, on a cooling pad fans off.

Difficult to say on a game per game basis, equally clearly a level of variability that's not desirable if at the wrong end of the scale :/

Current idle 38C/100F ambient 26C/79F

Pirme95 Small FFT stress test - 3.4GHz on all cores, no thermal throttling - Undervolt applied - Ambient temp approximately 25C 

CPU spikes to 94C, until the cooling system spools up and pulls the temperature back to 84C - Fans set to auto, CoolBoost on (max primary fan RPM 48K/47K, FrostCore 38K)

Notebook is a Predator 17 G9-793; i7 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, SATA SSD & HDD - BIOS 1.13, Windows Home 1803

Q-6
  • SatansTheory
    Here is mine i just booted up and idle with just firefox open.  Plus i have the frostcore installed.
  • SatansTheory
    It seemed to settle down a bit. I think i need to disable some stuff in the background.
  • SatansTheory
    Here is under a full load. Not sure why its running hotter. I did not have the fans set to max. I had them set to normal.

• SatansTheory
    Not much difference on running Normal and turbo with temps still hitting 90. Undervolted -125. This time i had fans on max also.
  • SatansTheory
    Changed to -130.9 still not much difference.
  • Queen6
    Yeah it's clearly running hotter with a lower ambient temperature, equally the CPU is holding 3.4GHz.  Tends to infer that the thermal efficiency is not as good as it could be.

I doubt the case, however you could try something rather counter intuitive and apply heavy load to the CPU.  My P-17 has some miles on the clock. Some thermal compounds improve efficiency after being exposed to temperature.  Stock TIM is generally designed for best longevity, equally I have no details on what Acer uses or if it improves with some exposure to heat.

btw not Prime95, OCCT or the likes :)

Q-6
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    This is my normal use temperatures... after playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on Ultra :-)

ThrottleStop - 0.125 undervolting on CPU
    My personalized power plan that dictates CPU speed scaling modes and core parking as well.
    Laptop feet lifted up by about 1 inch using felt pads for more air flow under it.

Room temperature 77F = 25C.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    Also, I would NOT recommend putting fans on high. This would only burn them out quicker.
    I would rather you get a nice under $10 USB fan to help cool it.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • SatansTheory
    Queen6 said:
    Yeah it's clearly running hotter with a lower ambient temperature, equally the CPU is holding 3.4GHz.  Tends to infer that the thermal efficiency is not as good as it could be.

I doubt the case, however you could try something rather counter intuitive and apply heavy load to the CPU.  My P-17 has some miles on the clock. Some thermal compounds improve efficiency after being exposed to temperature.  Stock TIM is generally designed for best longevity, equally I have no details on what Acer uses or if it improves with some exposure to heat.

btw not Prime95, OCCT or the likes :)

Q-6
    I should have stuck with my original one It seemed steady at 88ish under full load. But i got 2 hard locks where i had to take off the back of the laptop. I wish i could contact Acer and they would send me one that was made sure to have good thermal paste on it. If i take it to a Computer repair shop and have them repaste it would i loose my warranty?
  • sri369
    edited June 2018
    I should have stuck with my original one It seemed steady at 88ish under full load. But i got 2 hard locks where i had to take off the back of the laptop. I wish i could contact Acer and they would send me one that was made sure to have good thermal paste on it. If i take it to a Computer repair shop and have them repaste it would i loose my warranty?
    Yes... you would void warranty, if you opened and did this yourself. You could try asking if they would apply the re-paste for you at a local center while you waited.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • SatansTheory
    sri369 said:
    Yes... you would void warranty, if you opened and did this yourself. You could try asking if they would apply the re-paste for you at a local center while you waited.
    Im still in my 30  day return window. This unit has froze 3 times today. My other unit never froze like this. Im also getting frame rate drops and it was not caused by thermal throttle.  Im tempted to return this and get a different brand laptop. I could try for a third one and hope it was like my first one.
  • SatansTheory
    sri369 said:
    Also, I would NOT recommend putting fans on high. This would only burn them out quicker.
    I would rather you get a nice under $10 USB fan to help cool it.
    I have a $50 cooler that sits under it.. Doesnt seem to help
  • sri369
    Im still in my 30  day return window. This unit has froze 3 times today. My other unit never froze like this. Im also getting frame rate drops and it was not caused by thermal throttle.  Im tempted to return this and get a different brand laptop. I could try for a third one and hope it was like my first one.
    Just give it back... get a G3-572 this time. Or...
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • SatansTheory
    Here some of my errors before the crash.
  • sri369
    Your screenshots make me feel like this could be some issue with the actual hardware.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------