Nebir Member Posts: 75 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited October 2018

Today i decrease the "turbo ratio limit" to 32 in "performance" profile
    Previously it was -
    1 core active 40
    2 core active 40
    3 core active 40
    4 core active 39
    Which one is best? 40 or 32 or other number?
    And what is the best offset voltage for i5 8300h?
    Note: only i decrease the voltage for 1 and 4 profile.2 and 3 profile i don't.2 and 3 profile are default i don't edit anything in 2 and 3 profile.
    Help
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    tnx for the answer, but i thinking of maby a thin layer of silicone around the square  not sure what to do yet.. just got this laptop :) 

This is what I did

https://youtu.be/XB2Jx8UHuck
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    @Nebir is seems like the undervolt is applied. The Th turbo ratio limit is the maximum turbo frequency. If you set it to 32 the turbo boost will be limited to 3.2 GHz. By doing that you will decrease temperature, but also will also sacrifice performance. 
    Try playing games or running benchmark without undervolt, with undervolt with turbo ratio 40/40/40/39, with undervolt with turbo 32/32/32/32. Check temperatures and performance and decide what fits your needs. You can set turbo to some mid value, let’s say 36 or 38.. 
    One of the most important things you may want to so is using cooling pad. These notebooks have very low clearance from the table. Cooling pads reduces temperatures significantly. My Helios temperatures differs 10 degrees with and without cooling pad.
  • Nebir
    Nebir Member Posts: 75 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    @Mrgrudev
    With 32 turbo ratio limit cpu temperature goes 80-85(with - 125 offset voltage).its fine? Or bad? (sometimes it goes 90 for one or two seconds)
    And I want to khow What is the most appropriate offset voltage for i5 8300h?
    If i will try -130/-140 it will be allright or it will harmful for my laptop?
    In battery tab the turbo ratio limit is default.i mean 40,40,40,39
    For more battery life what can i do?
    Will i decrease the turbo ratio limit to base clock speed? 23?or what can i do for more battery life?
    Help please
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Nebir said:
    @Mrgrudev
    With 32 turbo ratio limit cpu temperature goes 80-85(with - 125 offset voltage).its fine? Or bad? (sometimes it goes 90 for one or two seconds)
    And I want to khow What is the most appropriate offset voltage for i5 8300h?
    If i will try -130/-140 it will be allright or it will harmful for my laptop?
    In battery tab the turbo ratio limit is default.i mean 40,40,40,39
    For more battery life what can i do?
    Will i decrease the turbo ratio limit to base clock speed? 23?or what can i do for more battery life?
    Help please

Im on -0.140 core/cache on the i7-8750H and have had no issues. 

"Worst" thing that can happen is the undervolt is too low and your laptop will reboot. It doesn't harm anything unless you were working on something and forgot to save it.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    The temperatures are still relatively high, but not as they were before the undervolt. Lift the notebook from the table a little. Even better use cooling pad. It can reduces up to 10 degrees more.my i7-8750H is stable at 135mV.
    Undervolting the GPU would further decrease few degrees on both gpu and cpu. You can give it a try. Also follow Hotel-Hero windows 10 optimization guide if you haven’t already.
  • Gresiac
    Gresiac Member Posts: 3 New User
    i get a error while i try to undervolt i dont know what i do wrong i have a helios 300 collection edition 8750h 1060gtx
  • MrGrudev
    what error? send screenshot
  • Gresiac
    MrGrudev said:

i think undervolt worked , i followed your guide in this topic, so i apply all changes to cpu and cache ? -135,7 and  icc max 128 ?

• Gresiac
    MrGrudev said:

?

• OrganizedChaos
    OrganizedChaos Member Posts: 24 Networker
    I know this thread hasn't been very active since Oct., but I just wanted to say thanks for the info.
    My son bought a new Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51-78NP) last week to replace is old Aspire. His Predator has the NVIDIA 1060 and i7-8750H. I'm pretty good with computers, but not much of a gamer, or at least not these modern games, especially on PC. So I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about what goes along with running a gaming computer efficiently. I found myself ending up here in the Acer forums quite a bit and referenced this thread in particular more than once. So I thought this was a good place to say thanks for what I've learned so far and to ask a couple questions.
    We noticed pretty quickly that his Predator ran pretty hot, which seems to be common with this model, from what I've read. There were times when the CPU spiked around 93-94 C and maybe averaged around 86-88. And forgive me, we use Fahrenheit, so I'm still getting used to using Celsius for the purpose of learning about this stuff. We don't seem to be having any major issues with (too) high GPU temps.

I came to the conclusion that undervolting was our best DIY option. Since it's new and under warranty, we'll send it in to Acer if all else fails. But even if it wasn't under warranty, I don't know if I'm confident enough to re-paste it myself. I've worked on computers (desktops & laptops) but nothing like doing that.

Using ThrottleStop, I've undervolted to -0.140 core/cache. Also, taking advice from Queen6, I've reduced the Turbo Ratio Limits by a factor of 2. So they are now set at 39,39..38,38..37,37. My son got on this morning and has been playing Ark for a few hours now. The temps seem to be better than before. The CPU is now averaging around ~78 C. But he's noticing a new problem. A few times, his FPS suddenly dropped to about 3 and caused him to get killed. Over the last few hours, it happened 2-3 times on one server and just happened again shortly after joining a new server. While this happened every once in a while on his old computer, it didn't happen on the Predator before I made the aforementioned adjustments. I've read that undervolting doesn't affect performance, but could the reductions I made to the Turbo Ratio Limits be causing this?

As of now, he does elevate the back of it an inch or so and we also plan on buying a cooling pad. If the thermal paste is an issue straight from the factory, then if we chose to send it in to Acer to have it re-pasted, wouldn't it end up with a similar pasting job?

Thanks again for all of the great information. I look forward to hearing from some of you.
  • MrGrudev
    Hi @OrganizedChaos !
    I don't think drop in the FPS for such a long period of 1 minute, every hour or two is because of the undervolting. If the problem is throttling due to overheating or something from the undervolt, the change in performace would be for a second or two. And doing the same with the previous notebook seems like the problem is within the game itself. I am using the same hardware as yours undervolted -135mV and never experienced such a long FPS drop. 
    Cooling pad will help decrease further 5 degrees according to my experience. 
    Also check the Nvidia control pannel. There are some great videos for optimizing the settings there. Also make sure the V sync is activ if the screen is 60Hz, because getting 120FPS on a screen 60Hz is usless. That would only produce more heat and no visible difference.
    Also a MUST DO thing is optimizing the Windows. Follow the HotelHero video in youtube for that. You should achieve 0-2% utilization of the CPU while idling.
    Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
  • OrganizedChaos
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the reply, MrGrudev. When I was experiencing the "freezing" I spoke of when first testing my ThrottleStop adjustments in COD, it only lasted a couple seconds and happened a couple times before I stopped the game (I only played maybe 5 minutes to check temps). I didn't witness it myself when it happened to my son playing ARK. I spoke to him about it to get more details and he said it would drop down to 3 FPS for maybe 20 seconds, then climb to about 30 FPS for 20-30 seconds, then back to 90-100.

I'm kind of surprised to hear a cooling pad will only decrease temps by 5 deg. I was hoping for at least 10.

In the NVIDIA control panel, I did set the Power Management Mode to Prefer maximum performance, as per advice on here. I'll be sure to look into those other optimizations. This model Predator has a 144Hz screen. Should I still turn V-sync on?

I did watch Hotel Hero's Windows optimization video, but as it turns out, I've already done a majority of those things to the computer myself. Something I do with all our Windows units in the family. I've made a few additional changes using the video. Right now, I'm at about 6% at idle, but that's with my browser open.

I was running COD again and temps spiked at 92 and averaged about 90 with just 5-10 minutes of play. This is 10-13 deg. higher than what my son was getting playing ARK & Fortnite for several hours. Is COD a more CPU intensive game?

Should we be concerned about these temps? I'm willing to make some more adjustments via ThrottleStop, but didn't want to go too far. I'm aware of Red Sand's undervolting guide video, but if I'm not mistaken, that was for different CPU's, so I didn't know if those settings applied to the 8th gen too.

Sorry to bum rush this thread with all my information and questions. I want to be as detailed as I can in case it helps. Just trying to lock this down and make sure I've done all I can do. If all else fails and we did have Acer re-paste, they don't reset Windows, do they? My son's worried about that since it takes forever to reload all of his games. Do people have a good experience having Acer re-paste under warranty? Will that get temps down significantly? Is the re-paste done by people who would do a better job than what came from the factory? Just trying to avoid sending this out if possible, but would do it if all else fails and knew it'd result in a noticeable temp. drop.
  • MrGrudev
    You can reduce the turbo ratio litmis to 34 on all 6 cores. Thats what I did. For playing games you shouls not nitice any performace impact or it will be very low. It will not only reduce the temperatures but will make the temperature graph flatter, with less spikes. On low and medium demanding games I even disbale the turbo. Then the graph is pretty straight flat line. This CPU even without turbo is powerful enough for most of the games.

• OrganizedChaos
    I'll try reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits again, see what that does. Thanks for the advice.
    I thought I had made some decent progress with that configuration because I played COD:BO4 for a little bit and saw a 5 deg. decrease in temp., compared to what I was getting right before installing Park Control. But when my son played Ark last night, it was getting the same temps. as the day before (without Park Control). So I don't know if it really did anything. I'd say it's averaging in the high 70's as of now.
    I think I'm confident enough and capable of successfully re-pasting myself, but I'd hate to void the warranty just in case it's needed for something else. I read a post yesterday that some re-paste jobs come back from Acer running worse temps than before. There's always horror stories, and maybe that's rare, but it's something I think about.
  • MrGrudev
    Well since its a notebook, not a PC tempreatures in the high 70's are descent I think. Further from that is only the Cooling fans and undervolting the GPU.
    About the repaste...I also consieder doing it myself after the warranty.
    Park Control did not do the job for me, even increased the temperatures.. I don't know why, others were getting better results, but I did not. 
    If you find a better solution for reducing the temps, please share it.
  • Matck06
    Matck06 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hello everyone, I have a helios 500 i7 8750h, I installed throttlestop and applied an undervolt of - 140mv (core / cache), I get a score of 1095cb maximum on cinebench, it is normal then that some get 1250cb, I forgot something?
  • Sklero
    Sklero Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    @Matck06
    I got to -160mv easily and steadily, no crashes, even managed to do -170, worked perfectly fine too ;)

Try doing that as well, maybe it will help 

Or try doing the same as @MrGrudev
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/607777#Comment_607777
  • MrGrudev
    160, 170 are awsome results. It looks like you won from the silicon lottery. It also depends what fo you use your notebook for. Mine is stable at -135 mV on everything. At higher values it crashed under heavy demanding games. Otherwise it works at even lower voltages.