Undervolting GE-571

Vishiee
Vishiee Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello there. I'm using Acer Predator Helios 300 (GE-571). This is my first gaming laptop and as with any gaming laptop, it begins to overheat a lot. So I looked up as to how to reduce this and I came across undervolting. I'm using Intel XTU as of now and did it as it was shown in a video using XTU. I ran a stress test and it was showing some results. Pleased with it, I started gaming and after some time, I quit the game and decided to check on the temperatures. And it was around 96 degrees.. I was like, how? 

When I ran the stress test, it showed around 80 degrees. But when I finish playing games and check the temperatures, it's showing in the high 90s. Please help me..

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    While running a CPU stress test the GPU is inactive, but while gaming you have 2 processors working now, so the heat will be more. To reduce the temperature you can elevate the laptop a bit from the surface it is resting on(can be done with cooling pad- passive or with fans and make sure that the fans are running on max speed). If the average temperature is still above 85C, then you should return the laptop if the return policy is not expired yet or contact Acer tech support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Throttlestop is much more effective. 

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg
    - Hotel Hero