Has 1803 bricked my E5-571?

TM1900
TM1900 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Model E5-571-371W laptop
Windows 10 April update ('1803') installed without problem a few weeks ago and laptop was 100% fine, until the latest cumulative update, KB4284835. This update prevents the laptop from connecting to the internet. Laptop still connects to the router (wifi or wired is fine) but it shows the little yellow triangle/black exclamation mark sign and says 'Internet unavailable'. I have seen this before when an update is pending, so I wasn't too worried. But, if I try to update and restart, it goes through the usual rigmarole, but the update does not install, it just stays there and says it needs to restart. And round and round I go...
I have spent > 5 hours with Windows agents and we have tried everything (re-installs, command prompt stuff, clean boot, you name it!) and the only thing that cures it is to re-install Windows which cures the problem completely... But only until it downloads the cumulative update above, when the problem reappears.
Windows say that the problem is with drivers but that Acer are not supporting this laptop for 1803 and the website seems to support this statement. I have all the latest drivers I can get, although there seems to be none more recent than 2015.
Unfortunately, this makes the laptop rather useless. It is only four years old. Surely it doesn't have to be consigned to the bin yet?!
Thanks for any advice...

Best Answer

• TM1900
    TM1900 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Answer ✓
    Okay, so I did that, then the wireless adaptor and task bar icon just disappeared completely and still no Internet on any connection! I'd had enough and did a full Windows 10 reinstall. Ran Update twice and there we are, fully updated and all working. Presumably one of my apps was interfering or something was corrupt. Anyway, thanks for trying. All sorted now. (or maybe that should be 'for now'!). Cheers.

Answers