AN515-53-55G9 processor hitting over 70c while plugged in, idling

Options
gethy
gethy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Good evening,

So I am a first time laptop owner. I have searched for a few hours, and I've gotten a few things that resemble answers, but before I act I do want to ask a community of people who might be better equipped than I am.

Here's my thing: I like low temps. I set my expectations low. I downloaded speccy and saw temps that, right now, are wildly varying from 68 to 72c. I wasn't thrilled, but I know that's not enough to hurt the device short or long term. I unplugged it and the temps IMMEDIATELY sink to idling in the high 40s and the fans in Nitrosense go from 3.2k RPM to 2.5k. The fact that when plugged in it wildly fluctuates between 68 to 72c feels concerning. I might even feel better if it stayed at a steady 68c than how it spikes, lowers, spikes, and lowers.

I understand that a lot of things will "turn off" when the laptop is not plugged in. Knowing that, I have two questions:

1) Is it normal for CPU temps to spike to 70c while idling and plugged in?
2) What settings primarily cause heat generation?

I have a feeling this is from the processor engaging turbo boost, and that it only wants to do that while plugged in. I do want the turbo for gaming, so I do not want to disengage it entirely or, ideally, even mess with BIOS at all. If I can avoid that, great.

tl;dr
I want low temps
When plugged in idling it gets really hot
Doing the same thing without the power cord in, the temps are a STEADY 45c
I prefer STEADY temps to ones that fluctuate, even within temps that won't harm my laptop

Answers

• gethy
    gethy Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I am unable to edit the above post, so I'll include additional information here.

I've included an image to better illustrate what I'm talking about. The front part of the graph is idling and plugged in. The steady, latter half of the graph is doing the same processes but unplugged. I really like steady temps and want that while plugged in.

MODEL/SPECS:
    AN515-53-55G9
    I5-8300H
    1050ti
    Win10

I will post additional information that includes non-idling stats (I'll use FFXIV once it's downloaded) while plugged in and not.