Momentary freeze when opening chrome and certain settings. Solution?

Options
MaverickNathan1
MaverickNathan1 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Okay, so my Predator is almost brand new but I have been experiencing this freezing issue since I bought this thing. I have done a BIOS update and even a clean install of my OS once including installing/uninstalling certain Windows updates but nothing seems to fix this. 

The problems are specific. Firstly, the machine always remain frozen between the time I click on the icon to open chrome and when chrome actually opens, which is about a second or 1.5 seconds. Also, when I open the notifications panel for the first time after booting up, there's a one second freeze. Also some random cursor lags here and there when some program is being loaded onto the memory and such. These aren't earth-shattering problems but annoyances nevertheless and I'd love to be rid of them.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    @MaverickNathan1

Try this...
    Cold reboot laptop (with fast startup option turned off under power settings).
    Give it about 20-30 seconds to settle down after desktop appears.
    Start task manager.
    Give it a few seconds to allow entries to come in it. Capture a screenshot of task manager.
    While it is still open, click on Chrome.
    After chrome is fully only, capture the task manager screen shot and see where the hiccup was... atleast on a basic level it should be able to say if it was a processing issue or a disk issue... or whatever.

I am not saying this would solve your issue, but could be a first step in trying to identify the issue.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • MaverickNathan1
    MaverickNathan1 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    @sri369

Hi. I did what you asked but it didn't give me much insight into the problem. There were no unexpected spikes when opening chrome. However, I do think that I have found what the issue is but as of yet, I haven't found a fix. It seems to be an issue from Intel's side, something to do with triggering of the discrete GPU every time certain tasks are performed. You can take a look here.

• vedang55
    vedang55 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    Okay, so my Predator is almost brand new but I have been experiencing this freezing issue since I bought this thing. I have done a BIOS update and even a clean install of my OS once including installing/uninstalling certain Windows updates but nothing seems to fix this. 

The problems are specific. Firstly, the machine always remain frozen between the time I click on the icon to open chrome and when chrome actually opens, which is about a second or 1.5 seconds. Also, when I open the notifications panel for the first time after booting up, there's a one second freeze. Also some random cursor lags here and there when some program is being loaded onto the memory and such. These aren't earth-shattering problems but annoyances nevertheless and I'd love to be rid of them.
    Problem has been solved in the latest windows insider builds, so expect a stable build with the fix soon.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/critical-bug-intel-nvidia-laptop-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e
  • BlueDream73
    BlueDream73 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited May 2019
    Options
    vedang55 said:

Problem has been solved in the latest windows insider builds, so expect a stable build with the fix soon.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/critical-bug-intel-nvidia-laptop-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e
    Hi. Did it work?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    @sri369

Hi. I did what you asked but it didn't give me much insight into the problem. There were no unexpected spikes when opening chrome. However, I do think that I have found what the issue is but as of yet, I haven't found a fix. It seems to be an issue from Intel's side, something to do with triggering of the discrete GPU every time certain tasks are performed. You can take a look here.

You can try setting your "lag spike" app to use IGPU/CPU only and see if that helps...

what happens is ... when not needed, DGPU turns off. When needed this needs to be turns on, and this might be the culprit behind your momentary lag. On my box, all my browsers are set to use CPU only.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045