Z35P audio output very poor quality

celticmidnight
celticmidnight Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I recently purchased a Z35P and when I have either my Bose 2.0 speakers or VMODA Crossfade LP2 headphones plugged directly into the monitor, the audio output is very low volume and tinny sound quality. Even the monitors built in speakers sound better. This is not the case when I use either the speakers or headphones plugged directly into the computer. I had Amazon send me a replacement and there is no difference, so obviously this must be a problem with each product. I can't find any other mentions of this issue though, so I'm very confused and wondering if there is some sort of setting I'm not seeing that fixes this. I can't see how this is supposed to be normal, because I've never had such an issue with any other monitor and the sound quality is so bad, I can't be expected to live with it on such an expensive device. You can't even really get around it when using my PS3 since it doesn't have a headphone jack.

The other reason I got a replacement was that video games would randomly have constant screen flashes, where the entire screen would flash black. I read this is a common issue with this product and is a bug with the GSync. Funny thing though is I can't even use GSync since I have an AMD card. I haven't tested games yet on the new device because I just opened it and tested audio first.

Can anyone shed some light/help?

Answers

• celticmidnight
    So I just tested game play and the screen flashes seem far worse on the replacement monitor. It flashes every second or maybe even twice a second. 
    How could both the sound and screen flashes be the same or worse on the replacement..I can't be the only one here... Are there any solutions to either problem?

I don't want to have to have to send them both back. If there is no fix then I'm never buying anything Acer again. The last time I had an Acer product, it was another monitor and it died RIGHT after the warranty expired. My old Samsung has lasted for 8+ years without issues, and my newer Samsung has had no issues after over a year. I was considering a Predator 17 but after all this... :angry:
  • zeghetvoordt
    zeghetvoordt Member Posts: 2 New User
    Celtic midnight, I thought I was going insane not being able to figure out why it wasn't working. 

I have the exact same issue. 

I found out last week when I bought the monitor. I've tried different headsets/speakers. I connected both displayport cabel and hdmi cable for the audio transfer to the monitor. They all have the same issue with the sound. I also tested if it was pc driver issue so I connected my laptop which has a different audiocard I encounterd the same issue.

I also made a video aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbrwBrXEjC8

I've contacted acers helpdesk and they figured it was an hardware issue asking If I could send it back. Luckily the shop where I bought it (Mediamarkt) asked if I could bring it to their servicedesk. They concluded that it was deemed to be a 'dead on arrival' product and they would give me a replacement monitor.
    (They even tested it throughoutly before they said I could receive a replacement).

Now I just unpacked my new monitor and I'm sad to say this one has the exact same issue.

I'm now torn wether I should return this one aswell because i'd like to connect my ps4 but I won't be able to enjoy proper if I can't use the audio out port.....
  • celticmidnight
    Yep exactly the same thing with both of mine. Do you have any of the screen flashing during video games?
    Acer support said to send it in but kept referring to the monitor as a computer, didn't send the right email the first time and I have to pay for the shipping. 
    I'm not supposed to send the cables or use the original box, but how am I supposed to find a box big enough for this to fit? I'm sure as hell not walking into UPS with the monitor and asking for a box it will fit in. I think I should just cancel the support ticket and send them both back to Amazon for a refund.

I know there aren't a lot of Ultrawide 3440x1440p 35" 100hz+ G-Sync monitors out there for $750 or under but this just isn't worth it. I could maybe deal with the backlight bleed but all three of these issues is just insane. My plan was to buy a Predator 17 laptop and take advantage of G-Sync but now I think I'm gonna go for other brands, and maybe not even mess with G-Sync at all because I've read it could be causing the flashes and some other issues in monitors. Plus it's so much more money.
  • zeghetvoordt
    zeghetvoordt Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yep exactly the same thing with both of mine. Do you have any of the screen flashing during video games?
    Acer support said to send it in but kept referring to the monitor as a computer, didn't send the right email the first time and I have to pay for the shipping. 
    I'm not supposed to send the cables or use the original box, but how am I supposed to find a box big enough for this to fit? I'm sure as hell not walking into UPS with the monitor and asking for a box it will fit in. I think I should just cancel the support ticket and send them both back to Amazon for a refund.

I know there aren't a lot of Ultrawide 3440x1440p 35" 100hz+ G-Sync monitors out there for $750 or under but this just isn't worth it. I could maybe deal with the backlight bleed but all three of these issues is just insane. My plan was to buy a Predator 17 laptop and take advantage of G-Sync but now I think I'm gonna go for other brands, and maybe not even mess with G-Sync at all because I've read it could be causing the flashes and some other issues in monitors. Plus it's so much more money.
    I only have the audio issue. I also have a gtx 1080 and no issues with flickering. 

The image quality is amazing... I'm really bummed about the audio for me, it's a dealbreaker for me. I really hope there is a fix. I've send a message to someone I know that owns a x34p. I hope to hear from him soon asking if he has the issue with the audio out.
  • Hi_Voltg3
    Hi_Voltg3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2018
    Any updates on this? I'm having the same issue and the only place on Google that is talking about this is this forum. The audio is terrible when I use an aux cable. Brought this up on reddit too but I was told just use your tower to drive the speakers but that doesn't help me when I have my PS4 and Switch using the monitor as well. 
  • celticmidnight
    Sorry, didn't see the email update about this comment. Unfortunately I did not find a solution to the audio or video problems. I tested other monitors and they still had the video issue so I think it's some sort of video card or other issue with my PC setup. As for audio, it's definitely a problem exclusive to the Z35P. I bought an LG 34UC80-B and I have no audio issues. It is a bit of a downgrade as it's 75HZ (FreeSync), 34" and a 1900 curve.
    I decided it is well worth the downgrade because it was like $546 and it takes up far less space because Acer builds ***** bulky and ugly.
    This guy is very stylish with minimal bezels. I also like that it doesn't have speakers built in. I would go ahead and return your faulty Acer and not even bother with a replacement model, regardless of what you buy.
  • CamPer
    CamPer Member Posts: 3 New User
    Mine has the exact same problem minus the screen flashing