Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 M2 Sata Pcie Nvme support???

CocoxCocox Posts: 4Member New User
Just like the title. Does that laptop support M2 Pcie NVME SSDs??? 

Best Answer

• SharanjiSharanji Posts: 3,822 Pathfinder
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Cocox
    This model has Two M.2 card slots for NAND Flash Solid State Drive and supports :
    512 GB / 1 TB, 2D NVMe, RAID 0 SSD
    256 GB / 512 GB, PCIe Gen3 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 / 256 / 512 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

FAQ & Answers

• SharanjiSharanji Posts: 3,822ACE Pathfinder
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Cocox
    This model has Two M.2 card slots for NAND Flash Solid State Drive and supports :

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • mikeyjamesmikeyjames Posts: 4Member New User
    edited June 23
    Hi,
    I can confirm that I've added a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO to the spare slot and I'm using it to store games for fast loading. I had a quick go at trying to get the system to boot from it after copying an image of my system partition to it with no luck. As I said it was only a quick go and I'll try again at a later date when I have more time.

In summary, the Samsung 970 EVO works great and it's lightning fast.

Cheers
    Mick
  • platinum_ultraplatinum_ultra Posts: 6Member

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    Hi @Cocox

Sharanji  could you please explain a bit more ( I'm planning to buy a Helios 500 )
    Are you only talking about the interface options of the two m2.slots ? ( or the additional sata as well )

I plan to use a single Samsung 970 EVO as boot disk ( is RAID 0 mandatory ? meaning I have to use two disks )
    I also plan to work "disk less" meaning I would like to use Samsung 970 EVO in an external case and boot from usb3
    • could you please explain a bit more on how to configure a single Samsung 970 EVO in bios
    • Do you see any problems booting on usb3  ? ( any thoughts on the best way to do this )
    • I have seen a lot of discussions on raid 0 and achi could you please clarify a bit what to pay attention to for with different disk configurations
  • ChevyCam94ChevyCam94 Posts: 151Member Skilled Fixer
    Hi,
    I can confirm that I've added a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO to the spare slot and I'm using it to store games for fast loading. I had a quick go at trying to get the system to boot from it after copying an image of my system partition to it with no luck. As I said it was only a quick go and I'll try again at a later date when I have more time.

In summary, the Samsung 970 EVO works great and it's lightning fast.

Cheers
    Mick
    Did that drop the R/W speed of the boot NVMe any?  I'd like to add in my 960EVO M.2, but I don't want to lose my 1.8GB/s read speeds...
  • ShadowDragonXShadowDragonX Posts: 4Member New User
    I've installed 1x 500GB Samsung 970 Evo and 1x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo and managed to achieve 3.4GB/s on speed tests and 582MB/s on live data transfers between the two drives with Bitlocker enabled on both. My only issue is that for some reason BIOS passwords on the NVMe drives are not supported..... Came on briefly for some reason and never again... 
  • brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 10,008ACE Trailblazer
    I've installed 1x 500GB Samsung 970 Evo and 1x 250GB Samsung 970 Evo and managed to achieve 3.4GB/s on speed tests and 582MB/s on live data transfers between the two drives with Bitlocker enabled on both. My only issue is that for some reason BIOS passwords on the NVMe drives are not supported..... Came on briefly for some reason and never again... 
    Hi,
    Yes, that's quite normal, HDD password support not available for NVMe drives.

Heartbroken   :'(
    Such an awesome machine with the ability to host such amazing hardware but doesn't have the option to protect the NVMe drive with a password... Although I think it is the NVMe at fault and not the machine.
    Oh. to answer the other question... No. RAID is not mandatory. I'm running my Helios with two NVMe drives and one SATA SSD on normal AHCI. If the RAID is enabled and not set up, it'll use AHCI as the default protocol for the individual drives.
  • mikeyjamesmikeyjames Posts: 4Member New User
    edited November 11

Did that drop the R/W speed of the boot NVMe any?  I'd like to add in my 960EVO M.2, but I don't want to lose my 1.8GB/s read speeds...
    My model only came with an M2 Sata SSD (I think that's what it's called) in the first slot as the system drive.