CB281HK 4K Acer monitor auto-dimming brightness issue - FIXED

adam_j
adam_j Member Posts: 2 New User
My 4K Acer monitor would not stop auto-dimming when in custom brightness/contrast mode. For the record the solution is to navigate on the monitor menu to ACM (Auto Contrast Management - not that you would know what this means from all of Acer's cryptic acronyms). It will be turned to off, but actually it is doing things. Turn it on, then off again, and this should reset it. Auto-dimming should now stop. It appears to be a firmware issue. 

Answers

• henrylknguyen
    henrylknguyen Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have faced with same issue...Please let me know if you have a fix
  • adam_j
    adam_j Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have faced with same issue...Please let me know if you have a fix
    I posted the fix in my original post if you read it carefully. 
  • superemilyo
    superemilyo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I tried that on my CB272U monitor and it seems to have worked. Thanks @adam_j
    So even in 2020, this firmware issue is still not fixed. I was about to bring back the screen, I could not have stood that for much longer. 
  • j_acemon
    j_acemon Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2021
    Thank you!  In case others are searching -- I have 2 CB272U monitors -- the first one I got, built in February 2021, does not seem to have this problem.  The second, built in November 2020 does, so it seems the firmware was fixed between then (the "DP Format" option was removed in the newer build too).

I have been very frustrated trying to match the settings in the older one, because if I left tthe brightness at the default for a given mode (ECO, Standard, etc), it would be okay, but if I adjusted the brightness up or down it then went to the weird, distracting auto-dimming as brighter windows opened and closed.  I can confirm this same ACM on-off workaround applies.

It looks like you have to turn ACM on then off each time after you adjust the brightness.  That's livable, although I am considering buying another in hopes of getting another new build.  I don't know if there's any way to upgrade the firmware, guessing not?

These are otherwise great monitors, especially for the price so I was glad to find a solution!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Yes, typically a firmware upgrade requires a trip to the repair depot, where they have the custom fixtures to rewrite it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.