How do I print chromebook docs from a model C910 through a Epson Artisan 810 (classic printer)?

Options
dmac1113
dmac1113 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have called CHAT twice they say you can't do it, even though there are directions to follow from ACER.  I have followed directions through UTube and internet sites.  It connects and works one time then shows offline.  I can't be the only one with this issue but do one else on this thread seems to have the same issue.  Can anyone provide input?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,792 Trailblazer
    Options
    The Epson Artisan 810 should support Google Cloud Print out of the box. When a printer is connected to Google it leaves that connection open so Google can tell the printer to do something without having to transit your router from outside. If the router kills the connection after a period of inactivity or the printer goes to sleep and closes the connection you would see those symptoms. What happens if you wake the printer up before you try printing from the Chromebook?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dmac1113

Tinkerer

Options
    That seemed to work!! I will try it off and on for a couple of days.  Thank you!!  Why does ACER support say you can't do it?  It was very frustrating.
  • billsey
    Options
    The Chrome OS is pretty weird in regards to printing. One of the features of not having to do hardware drivers for each gizmo out there I guess. Customer support is a lot better at answering Windows or Android questions than Chromebook questions. Some of them are actually quite good with Chromebooks, others get lost pretty quickly if you have to go off script. ;)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dmac1113

Tinkerer

Options
    Well it is intermittent.  Not working today, again says Offline.  Waking it up did not work.  Any other ideas?
  • billsey
    Options

Boy, not really. If it's awake and talking to Google it should be able to print. You might double check it's network settings. Does it have a static address or is it getting one from DHCP?
  • dmac1113

Tinkerer

Options
    It just doesn't make sense at all.  Once in a while it will print, mostly just says Offline, when it isn't.  I am not sure what you mean static address vs getting one from DHCP?  I really appreciate your help!!!!
  • billsey
    Options

A static address is one you've typed in, a DHCP address is one that has been assigned automatically, typically by the router. A DHCP address theoretically can change each time you restart the router or the device, but in practice it almost never does. I don't know for sure how Google does it, but I expect the printer is supposed to login to the cloud each time it's powered up or wakes from sleep. If it hasn't connected and logged in Google will say it's offline. That's why waking it up sometimes works. There must be a condition the printer gets into that doesn't do the Google connection. I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas. Probably best to take it up with Epson at this point, they may have a fix with a new firmware release, or a configuration setting that's not quite right...