Acer Aspire E1-571 Windows 10 Pro 64bit

THEORY
THEORY Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, all i updated my Acer aspire e1-571 core i5 to windows 10 pro 64bit, by wiping the hard drive, not realizing that there's no product sticker underneath the laptop. Now I'm stuck as ive got the Activate Windows logo bottom right corner. Right people i did download this software that shows the OEM KEY that is assigned to the motherboard but that key is for OEM Edition:   Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM due to this windows 10 pro will not activate so can some please advise whats the best way to get windows activated? Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open the command prompt. Enter "WMIC os get serialnumber". See if that gives the same OEM or different key. If still OEM, prolly gonna have to pay Microsoft at least an upgrade fee to activate with the OEM key. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @THEORY

Are you connected to internet?  Make sure you're connected to internet.

Scenario1:  You bought a retail Windows 10 Pro.  Then enter the unique Windows 10 Pro key that came with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario2:  You upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store and you have a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account.  Then enter the generic Windows 10 Pro key.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • THEORY

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Open the command prompt. Enter "WMIC os get serialnumber". See if that gives the same OEM or different key. If still OEM, prolly gonna have to pay Microsoft at least an upgrade fee to activate with the OEM key. Jack E/NJ
    Hi i opened up cmd and right clicked it run as adminstrator i got this result Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.81]
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>WMIC os get serialnumber
    SerialNumber
    00000-00000-00000-ZZ000

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

its only a serial number :( no good thanks

• THEORY

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    JordanB said:
    @THEORY

Are you connected to internet?  Make sure you're connected to internet.

Scenario1:  You bought a retail Windows 10 Pro.  Then enter the unique Windows 10 Pro key that came with it.

Scenario2:  You upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store and you have a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account.  Then enter the generic Windows 10 Pro key.

Hi yes, i am connected to the net i tried your keys they didn't work :( I'm sure i downloaded the iso from Microsoft website as its a bootable USB stick man this sucks ill have to purchase a key thanks a lot Acer... 
  • JackE
    >>>Hi, all i updated my Acer aspire e1-571 core i5 to windows 10 pro 64bit, >>>

Did you upgrade to Win10Pro from Win10 freebie offer, from factory Win8.x, from Win8.x upgrade or from factory Win7?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• THEORY

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Hi, all i updated my Acer aspire e1-571 core i5 to windows 10 pro 64bit, >>>

Did you upgrade to Win10Pro from Win10 freebie offer, from factory Win8.x, from Win8.x upgrade or from factory Win7?  Jack E/NJ
    No mate it was on windows 8 or 8.1, I was trying to boot into windows recovery from Windows 8 or 8.1 it wouldn't boot in.. So I got frustrated about 7 times or so I tried, then I remembered i got iso USB as i made that iso about a year or so ago...

i wiped it that way and installed it that way.. Quick question what if i download windows 8.1 from Microsoft website, and install that.. Will i be able to activate 8.1 as i do have the motherboard OEM key from ShowKeyPlus software ? Thanks 
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    If your computer came pre-installed Windows 8.1, then you don't need to enter a key.  The product key will be automatically retrieved from the mainboard during installation.
    Click on the link below and download the appropriate ISO, and create your USB media with rufus.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

rufus settings:  GPT,  UEFI for non CSM, fat32

Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults and then save/exit.  Go back in to BIOS and enable the F12 boot menu.  Boot your Windows 8.1 USB.  Select custom installation.  Delete all of your partitions.  Click Next....and the Windows installer will automatically partition and format and install Windows 8.1.

Your Windows 8.1 drivers are in link below.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I have no idea why you installed Windows 10 pro and were complaining about Windows 10 Pro not activating when you don't even have a Windows 10 license much less a Windows 10 Pro license.  lol.  ;)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    >>>it was on windows 8 or 8.1, I was trying to boot into windows recovery from Windows 8 or 8.1 it wouldn't boot in..>>>

Well, if it was Win8.1 (NOT Win8), there's also a "slim-to-none" chance that your Win10 downgrade didn't also wipe the hidden ACER Win8.1 recovery partition.

So from a completely off state, turn the machine back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden partition is still intact --- and if it's still uncorrupted ---two big "IFs" among smaller others I might add---a Win8.1 recovery screen should appear to allow you to re-set the machine to a factory-fresh Win8.1 state.

Of course, if it was my machine, I prolly wouldn't try to resurrect Win8.x or make Win10 legit. Other options seem more appealing. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• THEORY

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    If your computer came pre-installed Windows 8.1, then you don't need to enter a key.  The product key will be automatically retrieved from the mainboard during installation.
    Click on the link below and download the appropriate ISO, and create your USB media with rufus.

Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults and then save/exit.  Go back in to BIOS and enable the F12 boot menu.  Boot your Windows 8.1 USB.  Select custom installation.  Delete all of your partitions.  Click Next....and the Windows installer will automatically partition and format and install Windows 8.1.

I have no idea why you installed Windows 10 pro and were complaining about Windows 10 Pro not activating when you don't even have a Windows 10 license much less a Windows 10 Pro license.  lol.  ;)

JordanB said:

Hey JordonB my man, i downloaded Windows 8.1 it installed fine, first it would not activate it kept saying invalid key so I open internet explorer to install Firefox chrome etc, my god web pages would not open up I mean even asking it to load up google homepage it would take over 2 mins + I'm on FIBER 70 MEG + 

I clicked on your drivers link from 2nd laptop I downloaded all 3 WI-FI drivers to usb stick then one by one installed them, restarted the system it made no difference at all..

By then windows 8.1 managed to get activated but there was something really wrong with the WI-FI speeds even after installing all drivers I did check device manager everything was installed fine..

I'm back on windows 10 pro now as windows 8.1 was unusable...

I'm back to square one windows 10 pro is not activated I will check eBay to see if I can get a cheap win 10 pro key as im not going back to windows 8 it sucks 
  • THEORY

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>it was on windows 8 or 8.1, I was trying to boot into windows recovery from Windows 8 or 8.1 it wouldn't boot in..>>>

Well, if it was Win8.1 (NOT Win8), there's also a "slim-to-none" chance that your Win10 downgrade didn't also wipe the hidden ACER Win8.1 recovery partition.

So from a completely off state, turn the machine back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden partition is still intact --- and if it's still uncorrupted ---two big "IFs" among smaller others I might add---a Win8.1 recovery screen should appear to allow you to re-set the machine to a factory-fresh Win8.1 state.

Of course, if it was my machine, I prolly wouldn't try to resurrect Win8.x or make Win10 legit. Other options seem more appealing. Jack E/NJ     

Mate I wiped them all, as I always do custom install from windows installer there was about 7 partitions, I deleted them all I make it into one big hard drive for windows to install.. Where I was going wrong I was holding in the alt key I didn't know I had to press F10 that's where I messed up thanks 
  • JackE
    OK. You may still be able to purchase the ACER Win8.x recovery media (USB stick or DVD) from the ACER UK store. Send an email via this link https://uk-store.acer.com/contacts to ask if it might still be available. Include your machine serial number id(SNID) in the request. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ