Issue with booting up [Acer VX15]

Options
Fury09
Fury09 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Good day everyone,
I am having a serious issue with booting up. Sometimes when i start my laptop or restart, the windows lock screen comes up and after 5 seconds screen goes black. I can only see the mouse pointer and the loading circle forever. I have waited for 10-20 mins nothing happens. And then i have to force shutdown. It happens again. I have to keep doing this until it no longer happens. I thought my windows was corrupted, so i did a fresh install. It happened again. Once i had to force shutdown 30 times! Then only windows booted up. 

Does anyone know the reason? Any quick solution would be appreciated. This is so frustrating especially when i am close to my assignment submission week. And its only been a year of using this laptop, already getting so many issues.  

Product details
Product Name: Aspire VX5-591G
BIOS: V1.06
Processor: i7-7700HQ
RAM: 12GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Best Answer

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Fury09 

>>>>Please reinstall the display adapter driver. Open device manager > Right click your nVidia Graphics card in Device Manager and choose Uninstall, when asked, confirm deletion of the driver files,  Restart the laptop and let the drivers install automatically. Alternatively, you can go to Acer website to download and install the driver manually.

Nvidia driver : Download

Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.  Open Device Manager, click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.  Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark.
    Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    Restart your computer. 

>>>>Also, check the BIOS version and check if you have the updated version listed on Acer website.
    hit Windows+R, type “msinfo32” into the Run box, and then hit Enter to check the BIOS version.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Fury09
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Sharanji

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

BIOS VERSION is V1.06. I saw someone saying they have V1.07. I am not sure how. I checked the download section on Acer website. The latest version is V1.06. Can you please confirm this?

Regarding my issue, I will try the first step hope it works. Will update later.

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    Fury09 said:
    @Sharanji

BIOS VERSION is V1.06. I saw someone saying they have V1.07. I am not sure how. I checked the download section on Acer website. The latest version is V1.06. Can you please confirm this?

The latest version released for this model is V 1.06.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Version 1.07 was forced through a windows update on some users as far as I know. I don't know how or why.

I would suggest you to run windows in safe mode(shift+restart), then from the recovery menu go to troubleshoot>advanced options>startup settings and select safe mode. If the issue persists in safe mode then it isn't related to a driver. If it doesn't appear in safe mode, then the issue is likely to be a driver, that means you have to update every driver(display(both intel and nvidia), audio, network etc.)
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    Fury09 said:
    @Sharanji

The latest version released for this model is V 1.06.
    Actually it's 1.07, I don't know why they didn't update their site. It's been out for some time now. You can get it here: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53104/~/meltdown-and-spectre-security-vulnerabilities

It takes care of Spectre vulnerability.
  • Fury09
    Options
    @siny79 Thanks for the link!

@Sharanji @ven98

I am pretty sure its the nvidia driver. Since i said i did a fresh install, i have restarted windows alot of times (because windows updates and other updates as well). I did not have that issue. Then i decided to update my nvidia drivers through Geforce Experience and then restarted. That issue was there, right after that restart. How do i roll back to older driver? The roll back button in device manager is greyed out. 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can just download an earlier driver version from nvidia.com and then install it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ven98 said:
    You can just download an earlier driver version from nvidia.com and then install it.

Fury09, just like ven98 wrote. The last drivers that work are 397.64. Tho You may need to boot into safe mode since You're having problem with starting Windows. Take a look at this post: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1056673/geforce-drivers/problem-with-geforce-driver-397-93/2/
    You can find instructions how to take care of Your problem step by step. Hope it helps. 
  • Fury09
    Options
    @siny79

Oh wow! So many people are having the same issues. Good to know its the Nvidia driver, and not my laptop lol. For now i have my GPU completely uninstalled. I dont wanna take a chance with older versions. Maybe ill wait for the next driver and most importantly get done with the assignments xD.

Thanks alot!