Nvidia for predator (desktop or notebook)

Zeroel
Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer predator G3-571 with a GTX 1060. I went over to NVIDIA to download their drivers. I heard from some reviews that the GPU inside this model is a full sized one. should I download the driver for the desktop or the notebook? would it make a difference?

Best Answers

• geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:
    I have an Acer predator G3-571 with a GTX 1060. I went over to NVIDIA to download their drivers. I heard from some reviews that the GPU inside this model is a full sized one. should I download the driver for the desktop or the notebook? would it make a difference?

With full sized one was intended that is a full 6GB memory gtx 1060, but still mobile version that's  slightly downclocked, compared to the desktop one that is built even in 3GB configuration, so,  you need to download the mobile version for our video cards  
  • geekromi
    Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:
    geekromi said:
    Zeroel said:

With full sized one was intended that is a full 6GB memory gtx 1060, but still mobile version that's  slightly downclocked, compared to the desktop one that is built even in 3GB configuration, so,  you need to download the mobile version for our video cards  
    Thanks boss :)
    just out of curiosity though, would there be any side effects if I downloaded the desktop one?
    'Cause I tried LOL out to see the max FPS... everyone keeps saying that with a GPU like this I should easily break a 200 fps threshold...
    so I tried it out with vsync off and I only got a max of 130 fps and it goes down to 90 when things get busy... is there anything I should be doing? :)

I'm not sure that the Nvidia installing process would end positively if you try to install a desktop version driver, anyway you could go for a try: about  FPS  when you go over 60 FPS, you will not note the difference between 60, 90 or 150 FPS, and more, our screens are limited to 60Hz

Answers

• geekromi
    Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:

• Zeroel
    geekromi said:
    Zeroel said:

just out of curiosity though, would there be any side effects if I downloaded the desktop one?
    'Cause I tried LOL out to see the max FPS... everyone keeps saying that with a GPU like this I should easily break a 200 fps threshold...
    so I tried it out with vsync off and I only got a max of 130 fps and it goes down to 90 when things get busy... is there anything I should be doing? :)
  • geekromi
    Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:
    geekromi said:
    Zeroel said:

I'm not sure that the Nvidia installing process would end positively if you try to install a desktop version driver, anyway you could go for a try: about  FPS  when you go over 60 FPS, you will not note the difference between 60, 90 or 150 FPS, and more, our screens are limited to 60Hz
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Zeroel said:
    geekromi said:
    Zeroel said:

Like @geekromi said, what would you do with breaking the 200 fps barrier when your monitor is limited to 60. You would barely notice any difference beyond 60. If things get too heated up, the processor and gpu failsafe would step in lowering the speeds to levels so low that would not get any playable fps until the system is cooled down to safer temps.
    Also, limiting the frames to max of 60 runs your system lot more cooler than running at 100+ fps.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Zeroel
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:
    geekromi said:
    Zeroel said:

Like @geekromi said, what would you do with breaking the 200 fps barrier when your monitor is limited to 60. You would barely notice any difference beyond 60. If things get too heated up, the processor and gpu failsafe would step in lowering the speeds to levels so low that would not get any playable fps until the system is cooled down to safer temps.
    Also, limiting the frames to max of 60 runs your system lot more cooler than running at 100+ fps.
    sometimes I use an external monitor :3
    and I didn't particularly want to break the threshold... it just bugs me soooo much that people emphasize that the card can EASILY do it and for some reason this one isn't... yes, it bugs me that much T_T but thanks anyway :D
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    since you have note book and not the desktop so you need the drivers for notebook :)