Any decent cooling vacuum for the Acer Predator Helios 300?

Destroya1221
Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-51 17 Inch laptop, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent cooling vacuum for me to use. I really enjoy playing on my laptop and want it to last and be as durable as possible. I don't play heavy games; I mainly play Overwatch, which is not that demanding of a game, as some say. Ultra graphics and I cap it at 70 FPS, so it's not that demanding on the laptop. However, I still want it to play even more efficiently. I have undervolted the CPU (-0.135) and I saw remarkable results. However when I leave the fans to work automatically without maxing them the temperature rises up to 85 and is about 78 most of the time. I know that's rather safe for gaming, but I still want to be more on the safe side. As I mentioned, I want my laptop to last and be as durable as possible. So, I figured I'd get a cooling vacuum (a cooling vacuum, not a cooling pad; there's a huge difference.) I know that cooling pads help a bit, but the internet says cooling vacuums are more efficient. However, my predator's vents are at the back, not at the side, which kinda decreases the overall efficiency of the vacuum. So, I figured I'd ask you, the community, for a decent suggestion because I'm sure some of you have found the solution, be it a perfect vacuum that suits the predator helios's vents or be it another alternative with the same level of efficiency. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You don't need a cooling vacuum. A cooling pad(even if it is passive) is more than enough. Just elevating the laptop a bit from the surface it is sitting on will show quite a difference in temperature. Even having a cooling vacuum won't guarantee a reduction in temperature, because the auto fan adjusts the speed of the fans according to temperature not load, so if the temperature is lower the fans' speed will just decrease. It is best to set the fans speed manually as the fan curve on auto fan isn't good.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @Destroya1221

I use a usb fan, and it works pretty well. I also upped the laptop "feet" by about half a centimeter.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Rising my Helios 300 from the table with just 3 cm, decreases the temperatures by 10-15 degrees on both CPU and GPU while heavy gaming. I have a cooling pad with 2 fans and it doesnt make a difference for me if its on of off.
  • Destroya1221
    Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    MrGrudev said:
    Rising my Helios 300 from the table with just 3 cm, decreases the temperatures by 10-15 degrees on both CPU and GPU while heavy gaming. I have a cooling pad with 2 fans and it doesnt make a difference for me if its on of off.
    How exactly do you raise it, though? Like, do you put one piece of rubber at the middle of the laptop's bottom back? Or do you put 4 pieces of rubber at each corner of the laptop's bottom, or the front? Please explain further so that I can use this method for my laptop as well...
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    MrGrudev said:
    How exactly do you raise it, though? Like, do you put one piece of rubber at the middle of the laptop's bottom back? Or do you put 4 pieces of rubber at each corner of the laptop's bottom, or the front? Please explain further so that I can use this method for my laptop as well...
    4 pieces each (all 4 combined gave an inch in height) in 4 corners right under the spots where they touch the table - this way all 4 feet touch the table and the laptop does not wobble.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045