Drivers

Zeroel
Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi! I got my predator a few months ago... I got an Acer Predator Helios 300. The one with a corei7 7700hq, gtx 1060 6gb, 8gb ram and 1tb hdd..
after I got it, I switched out the hdd with my old laptop's ssd... it was an acer e14 I think... since it didn't have the apps from predator, I went to the website and downloaded the drivers...
since my unit came with an hdd, it felt really fast after switching to the ssd... however, I recently just got to see another machine that came with an ssd. thing is, my unit is fast, however, it has what I call "hiccups" from time to time where the opening of folders doesn't feel fluid... there are stutters... I first felt these in games and I thought maybe my video card was just reaching its limit... but this other unit I'm talking about had a gtx1050... not even a ti, yet watching it felt so buttery smooth... I really hope someone here gets my references and helps me figure this out... is it the drivers? is it the ssd? should I reformat and do a clean install of all the drivers? or should I just get an m.2? I know m.2s are supposed to load faster... but it won't do to the in game stutters... and I'm sure my video card drivers are up to date... I update it regularly...

I was okay with the hiccups until I saw a less powerful machine performing so well and it made me think how much I've been wasting my baby's potential... please help me :(

P.S. My FPS is okay. So I was convinced that it's not a GPU issue... am I wrong?

Best Answer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    adamo000 said:
    Tmzdroid said:
    Try using this 3rd program for updating drivers its worked like a charm for me over the years.
    Would you recommend any?
    DriverPack
    DoubleDriver

When I went with a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop G3-572, windows did a neat job of loading all drivers properly. The only driver i had to load was the latest version of nvidia for a few optional features and to turn off 3d display driver (since i do not need it).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Zeroel
    P.P.S I didn'd download the bios update 'cause it said "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution." and it scared the ***** out of me... should I have updated it?

• HiWayKiller
    HiWayKiller Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Predator laptops are having history of getting freeze for like 0.5 sec if you let the laptop idle for some time and try to open applications like chrome. I don't know why it is happening and yes I am still facing the same issue.
  • Zeroel
    Predator laptops are having history of getting freeze for like 0.5 sec if you let the laptop idle for some time and try to open applications like chrome. I don't know why it is happening and yes I am still facing the same issue.
    is yours running an m.2 nvme?
    'cause I'm thinking of switching out and seeing if it helps... but if your laptop is already using an m.2 then guess I wouldn't bother trying
  • Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Try using this 3rd program for updating drivers its worked like a charm for me over the years.
  • adamo000
    adamo000 Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Tmzdroid said:
    Would you recommend any?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    adamo000 said:
    Tmzdroid said:
    Would you recommend any?
    DriverPack
    DoubleDriver

When I went with a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop G3-572, windows did a neat job of loading all drivers properly. The only driver i had to load was the latest version of nvidia for a few optional features and to turn off 3d display driver (since i do not need it).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045