Is it okay to leave fans at max for 3-5 hour long gaming sessions?

Destroya1221
Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi! I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 17 inch laptop. I just got it recently (about 3 weeks ago) and I want to keep it healthy and in good condition for as long as possible. I need it to last for quiet a few years so I take good care of it. One of the main factors of durability is internal part temperatures safety. When I first got it, I played Overwatch on ULTRA at 60 FPS and used the PredatorSense pre-installed app to monitor the temperatures of the CPU and GPU. The GPU temperatures seemed fine but The CPU temperatures used to go up to 89 degrees. But now, I have undervolted the CPU (-0.120V) and always set the fans to work at max speed when gaming. By doing so, the CPU temperatures stay around 72 (max 79) while playing. Without Maxing out the fans and instead letting them work automatically, the temperatures are around 77 and rise up to 84. I was thinking about applying thermal paste to the GPU and the CPU but I realized it's too risky. So, what I wanna know is...do I stay as I am? Do I max the fans while gaming as I am used to? (they make a lot of noise but I'm okay with it since I wear headphones anyway) Or should I leave them work as they wish (automatically) and let the CPU rise to up to 84? (maybe more, who knows) Will the fans wear out too soon if I keep doing that and I'm not to max them? Or will it be worth it to wear out the cheap fans for the sake of the expensive GPU and CPU? What other solutions can I apply to keep my parts a bit cooler? How do I increase my laptop's durability?
Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-51 

Best Answer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Get a USB fan for like $10-20, and use instead of fans all the time at max. Let the system manage fan speeds. Using external usb fan would allow for faster cooling too, plus easy and cheaper to both maintain and replace as needed.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Place the notebook on a cooler and improve the airflow.  I wouldn't worry about the fans unless your in dusty conditions, might need cleaning after a couple of years and that's the opportunity to change the thermal paste.  I would also allow the system to cooldown before fully shutting down as rapid heating and cooling is what's most detrimental to electronics.

Q-6
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Get a USB fan for like $10-20, and use instead of fans all the time at max. Let the system manage fan speeds. Using external usb fan would allow for faster cooling too, plus easy and cheaper to both maintain and replace as needed.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Destroya1221
    Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    sri369 said:
    Thank you so much. This helped me well. I have been hearing about them for a long time, but I never gave them attention because I thought their concept was not be efficient enough, but I checked some videos and reviews and turns out they are great after all. I have ultimately decided I'd buy one. Thanks again!