Why there's no backlight keyboard control panel/setting window?

xXxPizza8492xXx
xXxPizza8492xXx Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The backlight of the keyboard on Acer Nitro 5 turns off in some seconds (25-30) and it's pretty annoying. I wish there could be a way to decide wether you want that or not. I want my backlit keayboard to stay permanently stay on. Can you please implement a software update for this issue?

Answers

• cally
    cally Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an Acer Swift 3- and I have the exact same issue. If I need the keyboard backlit- it is because I am in a dim environment. If that is the case, then I specifically need to be able to see the keyboard when my hands are away from the keyboard. That means I need it to be on when I am not touching it for more than 30 seconds. I need the lights to be on for as long as *I* need it. IF the backlight makes that much difference in battery life- then let me know that and give me the control to decide how bright (and therefore give me dimming control) and how long the backlight stays on when not active. 

I had no idea that a vendor would do this to a laptop. Who gives the buyer backlights, but decides it turns off in less than a minute if not active? I wonder if Acer has the courage to make this a number one, top of the page, description of these laptops "Has a backlit keyboard that turns off after thirty seconds of inactivity with no way of changing the setting" and see if there is a drop in sales.

What all buyers of these laptops need is a control panel setting to let them decide the brightness of the backlights and how long the lights stay on when inactive. We bought the machines, we should be able to use it.
  • todythedoby
    todythedoby Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

its not even 30 seconds..it's 10 seconds in my case...after upgrading to bios 1.22 on nitro 5...been almost one month like this...still no response...no fix at all...they dont just care
  • jose_beltran
    jose_beltran Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

It's very annoying to have to enter a key for it to turn on again.

Nitro 5. Bios v1.22
  • AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    It's a feature to limit the effect on battery life. It was originally supposed to only turn off on battery power, but recent BIOS bugs have made it so that it turns off on AC power too. Acer don't care about this issue, it's been reported on several occasions with different models and all I got out of technical support was "we didn't find anything in our update to cause this, we want to take your laptop off you for 1-2 weeks without a replacement to see what is happening".
  • AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Unfortunately everything to do with the backlight for the keyboard is controlled by the BIOS. No options for us to configure. A timer setting would be nice, as would a permanent enable/disable option...