Upgrading SSDs In Predator 17 (G9-793-79V5)

dmw_4814
dmw_4814 Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just got an Predator 17 (G93-793-79V5) delivered from Amazon Thursday night. I haven't even powered it up yet (although, I took it out of the box to make sure there wasn't any physical damage to it), as I'm waiting for a new M.2 SSD I ordered for it (I bought a 1TB HP NVMe/PCIe SSD for $299; I originally wanted a Samsung, but the HP was on sale for almost $150 cheaper, and it performed really well in reviews/tests I looked at online). I already have a WD M.2 SATA III 1TB drive, along with a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SATA III 2.5" SSD, both of which I've been using in my current 17 inch HP laptop. As I understand things, the bottom M.2 slot in my Predator 17 is NVMe/PCIe, and the top one is SATA III, correct? There are (2) M.2 SSDs in there now, and I want to replace them with the HP NVMe/PCIe drive (on bottom) and the WD SATA III drive (on top). I also want to replace the mechanical Hitachi HDD with my Samsung 2.5" SATA III SSD. Since I understand the (2) M.2 SSDs currently in my Predator 17 are configured in RAID-0, which I have no experience with whatsoever, what is the best way for me to go about doing this? Can I just boot up the laptop; go through setup; create recovery media, then shut it down and open it up and replace the drives, then turn it back on to use the recovery media to set it back up again? Will that work? As far as RAID goes, I have no care one way or another if my M.2 SSDs are configured in RAID-0, so they show up in Windows as one drive, or if they're listed as two separate drives. I'm thinking they will, if this procedure is workable, be configured as two separate drives.

Any advice/suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Yes, I think you have done your homework thoroughly, another member has done similar upgrade(link), you are right about the NVMe slot as well.
    Please read the post by @Jozac05 here:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537436/predator-17-g9-793-76kv-ssd-upgrade
  • McTerry
    McTerry Member Posts: 3 New User
    dmw_4814 said:
    I just got an Predator 17 (G93-793-79V5) delivered from Amazon Thursday night. I haven't even powered it up yet (although, I took it out of the box to make sure there wasn't any physical damage to it), as I'm waiting for a new M.2 SSD I ordered for it (I bought a 1TB HP NVMe/PCIe SSD for $299; I originally wanted a Samsung, but the HP was on sale for almost $150 cheaper, and it performed really well in reviews/tests I looked at online). I already have a WD M.2 SATA III 1TB drive, along with a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SATA III 2.5" SSD, both of which I've been using in my current 17 inch HP laptop. As I understand things, the bottom M.2 slot in my Predator 17 is NVMe/PCIe, and the top one is SATA III, correct? There are (2) M.2 SSDs in there now, and I want to replace them with the HP NVMe/PCIe drive (on bottom) and the WD SATA III drive (on top). I also want to replace the mechanical Hitachi HDD with my Samsung 2.5" SATA III SSD. Since I understand the (2) M.2 SSDs currently in my Predator 17 are configured in RAID-0, which I have no experience with whatsoever, what is the best way for me to go about doing this? Can I just boot up the laptop; go through setup; create recovery media, then shut it down and open it up and replace the drives, then turn it back on to use the recovery media to set it back up again? Will that work? As far as RAID goes, I have no care one way or another if my M.2 SSDs are configured in RAID-0, so they show up in Windows as one drive, or if they're listed as two separate drives. I'm thinking they will, if this procedure is workable, be configured as two separate drives.

Any advice/suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    I'm curious if this worked for you as I just picked up a G9-793-7975 as well and am looking to upgrade the M.2's that are in it with a single 512 Samsung Evo Pro NVMe stick.
  • dr3ww_14
    dr3ww_14 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    How did it go? i am planning on doing the same. Replacing both m.2 sticks with a single 1tb stick. 
  • Ceeker
    Ceeker Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can I upgrade my predator 17 to the Samsung 860 4TB SSD
    Samsung 860 QVO SSD 4TB - 2.5 Inch SATA 3 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-76Q4T0B/AM), Gray
    and 
    what is the largest and fastest 
    NVMe PCIe SSD I can purchase for the second drive.
    This will be cheaper than a new laptop
    Thanks for the help
    Regards
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Recommended maximum size for HDD is 2TB, I haven't seen anyone installed a 4TB drive but as a storage device you could try 4TB at your own risk and see whether it works, as for the M.2 SSD, recommended maximumsize is 512GB and Samsung 970 Evo is many user's favourite, you can view what others have installed in this model here:https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-G9-793/41203