predator 17 g9 793 76kv SSD upgrade????????

asad814
asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
guys please help...i want to upgrade my ssd there is one ssd preinstalled(256gb) and i want to add another ssd of 512 gb for games ....so i wanna know if my model has an extra ssd slot or not plus which ssd would be compatible for my laptop that has good speed and not expensive....thanks

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Any M.2 2280 SSD will fit in your second M.2 port. Mind that the 2nd M.2 is SATA interface, so connecting an NVMe SSD will still work, but it will be limited to SATA 3 speed. In this case I would suggest you to look for SATA M.2 SSDs, which are cheaper compared to NVMe SSDs.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    edited January 2018 Answer ✓
    For the 2nd SSD, you will need this bracket 86.RGV0U.002 to extend the SSD to reach the 2nd screwhole(see picture)
    You will need extra screws to fix the SSD as the link posted by JordanB.
    To fix SSD to bracket 86.Q04N5.015 - can be seen from the link
    To fix bracket to lower cover 86.RGV0U.002 - can be seen from the link

EDIT: for some reason the post by JordanB wasn't shown by my browser.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    There's a lot of content on the forum already for the G9-793, just need to search.  Some G9's have two 128Gb SSD's in RAID 0, and are physically different M.2 SSD's, which are more difficult to deal with so you need to do your homework.

As for SSD for games, wont speed anything up other than load times. Personally I'd opt for a Samsung 960 for the boot/system drive and a matched capacity SSD in the second slot for system backup. Games & media will remain as is on the 2Tb hard drive.  In time I may consider a 2TB 2.5" SATA SSD to replace the HDD.

Q-6
  • asad814
    there is a slot for an ssd...i think all models should have same slot kindly suggest me which m.2 ssd will fit in that slot mention size also thanks
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Any M.2 2280 SSD will fit in your second M.2 port. Mind that the 2nd M.2 is SATA interface, so connecting an NVMe SSD will still work, but it will be limited to SATA 3 speed. In this case I would suggest you to look for SATA M.2 SSDs, which are cheaper compared to NVMe SSDs.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Queen6
    You need to search as would I.  My understanding is the G9 793's utilises two different types of M.2 SSD slots. If you buy the wrong one it physically wont fit as the securing screw will not align, and a support bracket may be required. I believe the first slot is a M.2 2280, the second a M.2 22110, you need to physical validate this for yourself.

Acer produces multiple variants of the same notebook, my own G9 793 is significantly different to yours. If your G9 793 76KV uses twin 128 SSD's in RAID 0 it's more complex to upgrade due to needing to change settings in BIOS and the OS.  If I upgrade it will be with a fast high capacity Samsung NVME 960 SSD, and 2 TB 2.5" SATA SSD, therefore my needs are completely different.

Q-6
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018
    @asad814

If you install the second M.2 SSD, I think you're going to need a bracket and screws.  Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.  As @ven98 said, the best choice for the second M.2 SSD would be a M.2 SSD with a SATA interface such as the example of Samsung 850 EVO.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147398

I could be wrong about the bracket and screws, but hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong about the bracket and screws.

Check out the link below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/494509/predator-g9-793-ssd-question

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98
    edited January 2018 Answer ✓
    For the 2nd SSD, you will need this bracket 86.RGV0U.002 to extend the SSD to reach the 2nd screwhole(see picture)
    You will need extra screws to fix the SSD as the link posted by JordanB.
    To fix SSD to bracket 86.Q04N5.015 - can be seen from the link
    To fix bracket to lower cover 86.RGV0U.002 - can be seen from the link

EDIT: for some reason the post by JordanB wasn't shown by my browser.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• asad814
    thanks all for helping.....as these brackets are not available in asia so i think i will upgrade 2.5 inch sata ssd.......cheers
  • Queen6
    edited January 2018
    One can simply order a M.2 22110 SSD for the second slot and not need to worry about the bracket and screws etc. although I suspect most will want to replace the boot drive with a faster SSD and reuse the original M.2 2280 SSD in the secondary slot.

22 being the width and 80/110 being the length in mm for the M.2 SSD

Q-6
  • JordanB
    @Queen6

M.2 22110 SSDs aren't readily available in the mainstream market.
  • Queen6
    JordanB said:
    @Queen6

M.2 22110 SSDs aren't readily available in the mainstream market.
    Very true, equally power of the internet and all.  "Personally" if I couldn't source the M.2 22110 SS or bracket I'd fabricate one out of a nonconductive material as it's only there for support & retention, not load bearing, 3D printing also springs to mind.

Q-6
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    @Queen6

I'd probably just pay the $20 and be done with it.  When that computer design was first released, the price was $80 for the bracket, and then it dropped to $40....and now it's $20.

I hate to complain because it's pretty sweet that you can have two M.2
  • Queen6
    JordanB said:
    @Queen6

I'd probably just pay the $20 and be done with it.  When that computer design was first released, the price was $80 for the bracket, and then it dropped to $40....and now it's $20.

I hate to complain because it's pretty sweet that you can have two M.2

As I'm an expat based in Shenzhen P.R. China I'll just run round to the tech district.  If it's not available there it's not been produced yet :) As for drives I'm thinking on the best configuration right now, nor in a great hurry.  Looking at the pictures the bracket is just a universal M.2 2280 to M.2 22110 adapter plate.

A 960 M.2 for system and second M.2 for backup with a 2.5" SATA SSD for media/games etc. ideally two 960 in RAID 0, right now not convinced the second M.2 slot on the G9 793 supports NVME.

Q-6
  • JordanB
    edited January 2018
    @Queen6

The M.2 slot that uses the bracket, is actually "SATA Express".....so it has two lanes.  I've don't have a Predator computer model and I've never used any computer with SATA Express so I don't know what would happen if you put, for example, a Samsung 960 in the slot.  It might work just fine.  Or speeds might be reduced.  I don't know.  Good luck!!

Ok, you guys and gals are on your own..... I'm leaving this thread up to you 793 owners.

I'll give you some parting links.  I'd probably just go with the M.2 2280 Samsung 850 EVO and bracket if I were on a budget

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA_Express

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3483241/motherboard-support-slot-960-evo.html

Acer G9-793 specs are below:

• Queen6
    edited January 2018
    JordanB said:
    @Queen6

The M.2 slot that uses the bracket, is actually "SATA Express".....so it has two lanes.  I've don't have a Predator computer model and I've never used any computer with SATA Express so I don't know what would happen if you put, for example, a Samsung 960 in the slot.  It might work just fine.  Or speeds might be reduced.  I don't know.  Good luck!!

Ok, you guys and gals are on your own..... I'm leaving this thread up to you 793 owners.

I'll give you some parting links.  I'd probably just go with the M.2 2280 Samsung 850 EVO and bracket if I were on a budget

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA_Express

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3483241/motherboard-support-slot-960-evo.html

Acer G9-793 specs are below:

Thx for your time, top job on the advice regarding the bracket & screws :)

Q-6
  • Jozac05
    Jozac05 Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited May 2018
    On my Predator 17 g9 i installed Samsung 960Evo 1tb nvme m.2 ssd as my primary os drive and on the upper slot i installed Crucial MX300 1050gb m.2 ssd 2280 as my gaming drive.
    Since both ssd i bought didn't came with ssd bracket what i did was i just improvised to keep my Crucial ssd in place using Scotch tape with the measurement of 1inch width by 2 inches length. A 4mm thick rubber pad to keep the ssd alignment horizontally parallel to the bottom ssd. It worked fine and i never had an issue of ssd accidentally came loose or removed from the upper m.2 slot with this simple tape reinforcement mod.

Then for my archive drives i replaced the main 2tb hdd with Seagate backup plus 5tb high capacity hdd and used a 9mm dvdrom caddy to install another Seagate backup plus 5tb high capacity mechanical on the dvdrom bay.
    Here's the video of my 12tb storage upgrades for Predator 17 g9.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhrSD4wMaQ
  • fxswan
    fxswan Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Did anyone have to install the Samsung NVMe driver to get their card to work as the boot drive? Will be receiving my 1tb NVMe soon to put in.
    THanks
  • asad814
    Jozac05 said:
    On my Predator 17 g9 i installed Samsung 960Evo 1tb nvme m.2 ssd as my primary os drive and on the upper slot i installed Crucial MX300 1050gb m.2 ssd 2280 as my gaming drive.
    Since both ssd i bought didn't came with ssd bracket what i did was i just improvised to keep my Crucial ssd in place using Scotch tape with the measurement of 1inch width by 2 inches length. A 4mm thick rubber pad to keep the ssd alignment horizontally parallel to the bottom ssd. It worked fine and i never had an issue of ssd accidentally came loose or removed from the upper m.2 slot with this simple tape reinforcement mod.

Then for my archive drives i replaced the main 2tb hdd with Seagate backup plus 5tb high capacity hdd and used a 9mm dvdrom caddy to install another Seagate backup plus 5tb high capacity mechanical on the dvdrom bay.
    Here's the video of my 12tb storage upgrades for Predator 17 g9.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhrSD4wMaQ
    hello i wanna ask few things how did you install 2nd ssd without bracket??? and whats the caddy size 9mm or 12.5mm?????