Spin 5 (SP513-52N) - touch unresponsive for 1.5 seconds after pen usage

Options
delold
delold Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
A longstanding issue which I'm frequently encourtering is that everytime I draw something on OneNote using a pen I can't immediately scroll / drag the page, because the touch somehow doesn't work. It boots up after a while. This is not related to a pen, as I did test with other supported pens (MPP based pens, like Surface Pen or Adonit Ink). 

Decided to google the issue and found out, that the same issue was happening on a HP Spectre x360 15-inch model (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/warning-spectre-x360-15-6-ntrig-problem-touch-input-delays-for-2-seconds-after-using-the-pen.71947/). The fix was later provided with a firmware update of the touchscreen (ELAN drivers I assume, based on the contents of the patch).

Recorded a short video demonstrating the issue. In the second half of the video I decided to write a test app to prove the existence of the bug. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHrTjZ2aUg

Would be happy to see a firmware update fixing this annoying bug.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,480 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Mine behaves similarly. But it's not actually a delay. The system doesn't sense when you're done using the pen till it senses your finger. So try quickly tapping the screen once with your finger after you're done with the pen, then move things around with your finger. 

Jack E/NJ

• delold

Tinkerer

Options
    As it is shown in the video, I'm trying to tap multiple times after using the pen, but the touch won't get recognised. Only after mentioned 1.5s, the touch is accepted as usual. 

This makes note-taking using a pen unnecessary harder, on other devices from Asus and Dell these issues aren't apparent, even though they use the same technology. 
  • JackE
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @delold >>>As it is shown in the video, I'm trying to tap multiple times after using the pen>>>

Your definition of 'tap' seems different than mine. Your finger doesn't seem to move as far away from the screen as mine. My technique is more like touching the screen first, then pulling my finger away about an inch or so. Then return finger for swiping, dragging, scrolling. Maybe my technique takes 1.5 seconds too but feels fluid and natural to me. Guess it might come down to personal preference or what you're accustomed to. 

Jack E/NJ

• delold

Tinkerer

Options
    The issue is basically the same as it is on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laLYqBeHqDs

At least give us the option to modify or turn off its' delay, as it creates unnecessary friction for those, who uses their device to draw or take notes.
  • delold

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm not sure, if there was some misunderstanding: this is a bug, not a feature request or an opinion. All tablets should behave like that.

This dampers the productibility of the device, which could be simply resolved with a driver/firmware update.
  • JackE
    edited January 2020
    Options
    >>>At least give us the option to modify or turn off its' delay>>>
    >>>this is a bug, not a feature request or an opinion. All tablets should behave like thatThis dampers the productibility of the device, which could be simply resolved with a driver/firmware update>>>

Sound like an idea to me. Please don't dwell on semantics. The ideas section might get more attention to the bug, option, opinion, feature, update or whatever. Your call. 

Jack E/NJ

• XXDoMi77
    XXDoMi77 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Is there a solution to this issue yet? Can the delay be set in the registry perhaps, or does it need a new driver/ firmware to make the delay disappear?
  • The_Science
    The_Science Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    XXDoMi77 said:
    Is there a solution to this issue yet? Can the delay be set in the registry perhaps, or does it need a new driver/ firmware to make the delay disappear?
    I think a firmware or driver update is the only way.
  • Mephhs
    Mephhs Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have same problem. I send my Acer Spin 5 to official Acer service , because delay was very annoying and next problem was with dotting pen when I don´t touch the screen. They after 20 days send me NB back with factory reset and update BIOS (BTW. I had their Acer Center in NB, which tell me I have all currnet drivers and BIOS). Expression of service was "Nothing manifested. We updated BIOS and delay is function of the NB". So.... Nice, I hope this problem will be fixed.
  • DRKRVLTNRY
    DRKRVLTNRY Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I'm still having the same problem after I updated the bios, factory reset and everything. is there another firmware or driver that can also solve this problem? still need to wait for about 1.5 -2 seconds after I used the stylus before I can use the touchscreen function again, so annoying