Acer Predator Triton 700 temperatures and "temperature patch" question

Options
Skree
Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello. 

Didn't find an explicit answer to my question by using search function.

My laptop has a normal operating temperature of about 50 to 60 degrees at idle, and gaming temperatures of about 85, but with spikes thatreached has high as 95 for very short time (it mostly spikes to 87)

Why am i concerned? I have read many reviews about this laptop... and the temperatures they report are all over the place. Some reviewers spoke of idle temperatures about 42 degrees and cpu never going over 70 under stress... while other have reported temperatures identical to mine.

Moreover, some reviews speak of a software patch by acer that in some way lowered the temperatures by about 10 degrees... which would bring my temps to normal, but evidently i haven't got that patch.

Can someone give me some info? Some help? Does this "patch" really exists? 

Thank you.

Best Answer

• munkay
    munkay Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Prime95 AND FutureMark at the same time! :)

From what I have read, your temperatures do not seem to be wildy high. For example, at present, my system is 31 and GPU is 50 and that is just with me using chrome as I type this.

Maxing out at 90 is again not at all unheard of (for ANY slim laptop with a 1070/1070mq/1080mq and a decent CPU), but obviously it is better to keep this to low 80s if possible. 

I would definitely suggest pushing the undervolt down a bit, or just leaving it at the lowest you can - you really aren't going to damage anything, the worst case is it might freeze and you will have to reboot (at which point IXTU will reset to default voltage and you will have to switch to the stable undervolt profile again). Mine was always stable at down to -0.165, but for some reason since the latest Windows update (1803) I find that it is only 100% stable at -0.155.

Also, do you have coolboost switched on in Predator Sense? If not, try switching it on - it will obviously help out.

If you look at any manufacturer specific forum (Asus, MSI, Razer - for the new Blade 15...), you will see threads asking similar to your question - all of these laptops run hot, there is no magic solution for the trade off yet.

I hope this helps give some peace of mind at least! Just enjoy using it - and take comfort that you won't ever have cold hands in winter from now on 

Answers

• Skree
    Options
    I am sorry, any help, please? It's not like that buying a laptop at this price range and having issues is fun :P
  • munkay
    Options
    What are your system/ambient temps in Predator Sense?

To be honest, if they are around 30-35, then you are pretty much in the ballpark for temps of such a powerful laptop with a 1080 (or even a 1060/70 in it!).

Have you undervolted yet? If not, try that, it will definitely lower your CPU temps which in turn should help the rest.
  • Skree
    Options
    First of all, thank you for your answer.

Can you confirm that these temps are actually normal? I have really heard all and thecontrary of all about this machine, that it should run at 40 idle, thatit reacheas 85 and more while gaming regularly...

Today i ran Prime95 and Furmark togheter, CPU was at stable 95°, CPU at about 80, of course i stopped the test in a short while, it never crossed my mind to keep this machine running at 95 degrees for long.

My system temperature in predator sense is above 30, i can confirm this. 

I also tried undervolting, but also stopped doing that... you advise me to keep undervolting? System seems stable at -140mv, even -150... i think i am just afraid that undervolting messes something up in the laptop, even if many say that it is totally safe.

Yes, anyway, i can confirm that system temp is indeed beetween 30 and 35, right now it is 32.

If you could please give me a confirmation that this is indeed all normal it would really put my mind at ease.

• Skree
    Options
    Ok, update:

i undervolted, then run again Prime 95 and furmark toghether. I do know they put an unrealistic stress and that the temperatures i get from running them both are higher than anything i would get by gaming.

It was about 95, then lowered to 90, and went up and down from there.

Ambient temperature is 38.
  • Skree
    Options
    I am sorry to do an "up", i would just like to be able to put my mind at ease.
  • munkay
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Prime95 AND FutureMark at the same time! :)

From what I have read, your temperatures do not seem to be wildy high. For example, at present, my system is 31 and GPU is 50 and that is just with me using chrome as I type this.

Maxing out at 90 is again not at all unheard of (for ANY slim laptop with a 1070/1070mq/1080mq and a decent CPU), but obviously it is better to keep this to low 80s if possible. 

I would definitely suggest pushing the undervolt down a bit, or just leaving it at the lowest you can - you really aren't going to damage anything, the worst case is it might freeze and you will have to reboot (at which point IXTU will reset to default voltage and you will have to switch to the stable undervolt profile again). Mine was always stable at down to -0.165, but for some reason since the latest Windows update (1803) I find that it is only 100% stable at -0.155.

Also, do you have coolboost switched on in Predator Sense? If not, try switching it on - it will obviously help out.

If you look at any manufacturer specific forum (Asus, MSI, Razer - for the new Blade 15...), you will see threads asking similar to your question - all of these laptops run hot, there is no magic solution for the trade off yet.

I hope this helps give some peace of mind at least! Just enjoy using it - and take comfort that you won't ever have cold hands in winter from now on 
  • Skree
    Options
    Thank you. I undervolted at -150. I tried -165 but it crashed during a game,  and it also power throttled, while at -150 it is 100% stable.

I use it connected to an external monitor (with G-sync, it would be pointless using it on a non g-sync monitor :P) and on a cooling pad. I can confirm temperatures similar to yours (and i don't think that -150 or -155 undervolting changes much, correct?).

You did help put my mind at ease, so thank you truly.