Is my m.2 slot compatible with NVMe SSD? (Predator 15, i7 6700HQ, GTX 1060)

heines
heines Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Greetings, newbie here.
My laptop model is G9-593-750K (purchased in UK) Model No. = N15P3
comes with pre-installed 128 gb m.2 SSD (B+M keys)
I noticed that my m.2 slot series is CON5102,

In another thread someone said that this port support SATA3 and PCIe X4 lane, but
I've read many reviewers said that my laptop model only support SATA3 only.
so I feel a bit confused about this issue.

Is it possible for me to upgrade to NVMe SSD in the future?

If possible, can I back up/ import my windows 10 to pre- installed 1 TB HDD without formatting it?

Thank you for any kind response

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you can upgrade to a M.2 NVMe SSD, you can create a partition( slightly larger than 128GB which is the size of your current M.2 SSD) and give it a drive letter in 1TB HDD, use Macrium Reflect free to backup the m.2 SATA SSD(128GB) to the new partition in the 1TB HDD.
    I would suggest you to use an external HDD to backup and recover your image on to the new SSD.
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You need to familiarise with recovery method, you don't need a clean install, if you do a clean install you may loose some Applications like Predator sense, so don't do a clean install, so Windows 10 on USB is not needed. You will not loose the licence as it's embedded in the BIOS.
    Could you please post the Disk management snip for further instructions regarding back up and recovery steps.
    In the meantime, please read about backing up a disk image and recovery method from the link, you need to create a recovery USB as well with Macrium Reflect.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    heines said:
    Hello, sorry for late reply
    This is the pic of my disk management
    as you can see, the one that I plan for upgrade is (C:) to bigger capacity, I never did any partition before, so
    I'm not sure when (Disk 0 partition 1) & Recovery  was made. I think it was exist from the moment i buy the laptop.

I have read the tutorial link you provided before. It gives very concise step by step for back up step.
    I think that for other separate backup drive, I need to use external harddisk with capacity as big as file inside my C: right? (around 58GB)
    But I'm not sure about how much capacity needed for thumb drive for rescue media?

Apologise for keep bothering you with my problems. Thanks in advance
    Hi,
    No problem, you have 41% filled up Data drive (Disk 1 D:), so remove it from the laptop, you can insert it latter on, then carry on creating the recovery USB disk, 8GB disk will be fine, backup the full image of the current drive(128GB SSD) to the external HDD, if you want you can use the HDD you just removed from the laptop, create a partition of 150GB(you don't need all of it and you can delete this back up latter on) and save your backup in the partition.
    Then replace the old SSD with the larger SSD, insert the recovery disk, go to BIOS and make it as the first boot device, connect the external HDD and recover the image on to the new larger SSD. That's about it.
    If you are unsure of any steps, please let us know.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you can upgrade to a M.2 NVMe SSD, you can create a partition( slightly larger than 128GB which is the size of your current M.2 SSD) and give it a drive letter in 1TB HDD, use Macrium Reflect free to backup the m.2 SATA SSD(128GB) to the new partition in the 1TB HDD.
    I would suggest you to use an external HDD to backup and recover your image on to the new SSD.
  • heines
    Thanks for your suggestion brummyfan2.
    I'm just wondering before I start, once I partitioned my HDD and back it up to both internal and external HDD,
    I have to change my boot drive to the internal HDD right? (I never change my boot drive before, but I will try surf the net for tutorial)
    Will my current Windows 10 digital license still valid after i move it to the internal HDD ?
    or do I have to do some kind of validation?

I don't own any original copy of Win10 on DVD or USB drive so I'm bit paranoid if I lose this one hahaa

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You need to familiarise with recovery method, you don't need a clean install, if you do a clean install you may loose some Applications like Predator sense, so don't do a clean install, so Windows 10 on USB is not needed. You will not loose the licence as it's embedded in the BIOS.
    Could you please post the Disk management snip for further instructions regarding back up and recovery steps.
    In the meantime, please read about backing up a disk image and recovery method from the link, you need to create a recovery USB as well with Macrium Reflect.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

• heines
    as you can see, the one that I plan for upgrade is (C:) to bigger capacity, I never did any partition before, so
    I'm not sure when (Disk 0 partition 1) & Recovery  was made. I think it was exist from the moment i buy the laptop.

I have read the tutorial link you provided before. It gives very concise step by step for back up step.
    I think that for other separate backup drive, I need to use external harddisk with capacity as big as file inside my C: right? (around 58GB)
    But I'm not sure about how much capacity needed for thumb drive for rescue media?

• brummyfan2
    heines said:
    Thanks for your suggestion brummyfan2.
    I'm just wondering before I start, once I partitioned my HDD and back it up to both internal and external HDD,
    I have to change my boot drive to the internal HDD right? (I never change my boot drive before, but I will try surf the net for tutorial)
    Will my current Windows 10 digital license still valid after i move it to the internal HDD ?
    or do I have to do some kind of validation?

I don't own any original copy of Win10 on DVD or USB drive so I'm bit paranoid if I lose this one hahaa

You are welcome :)
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    heines said:

Hi,
    No problem, you have 41% filled up Data drive (Disk 1 D:), so remove it from the laptop, you can insert it latter on, then carry on creating the recovery USB disk, 8GB disk will be fine, backup the full image of the current drive(128GB SSD) to the external HDD, if you want you can use the HDD you just removed from the laptop, create a partition of 150GB(you don't need all of it and you can delete this back up latter on) and save your backup in the partition.
    Then replace the old SSD with the larger SSD, insert the recovery disk, go to BIOS and make it as the first boot device, connect the external HDD and recover the image on to the new larger SSD. That's about it.
    If you are unsure of any steps, please let us know.