TravelMate P633-M Win 7 installation freezes at boot splash in UEFI mode. How do I install?

Options
globetrotterdk
globetrotterdk Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a TravelMate P633-M that I am trying to install Win 7 on, using an external USB DVD drive, but the installation freezes at the boot splash, without ever starting the installer. Legacy mode functions fine, but I would like to install in UEFI mode. How do I do that?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, the BIOS chip cannot be changed since it's the nature of the Windows version that relevant. UEFI mode is ONLY preferred for Win8.x & Win10 on a GPT-partition HDD or SSD. NOT Win7. Win7 will only install and run under a BIOS mode on an MBR-partition HDD or SSD. Whether or not legacy BIOS mode is an emulation layer is totally irrelevant for Win7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Win7 will only install on an MBR-partitioned HDD or SSD, not GPT-partitioned. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Options
    JackE said:
    Win7 will only install on an MBR-partitioned HDD or SSD, not GPT-partitioned. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for the reply. Even running the "clean" command in diskpart from the installation media (legacy mode) does not change the situation for installing in UEFI mode. I have also discovered that this isn't just a Win7 problem that I am experiencing. The below data refers to the formatting scheme used on the USB install media using Rufus. Please note my findings for a Win 10 install media shipped directly from Microsoft:

GPT partition scheme for UEFI + Fat32 - freeze at boot (flying window logo)
    MBR partition scheme for UEFI + Fat32 - freeze at boot
    BIOS or UEFI-CSM + NTFS - refuses to boot

Cluster size 8192 bytes (default) for all

It should be noted that the Official Win 10 install USB drive (direct from Microsoft - not a self burn) refuses to boot at all from the computer in UEFI mode.
  • globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

Options
    I have also run "diskpart" and then "list disk" to confirm that there is no star in the the "Gpt" column.
  • JackE
    Options
    Hold on!!! Let's focus on installing Win7. What was the original factory-installed Windows version on this machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Options
    JackE said:
    Hold on!!! Let's focus on installing Win7. What was the original factory-installed Windows version on this machine? Jack E/NJ
    It came without an installed OS of any kind. It was purchased factory new.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. What is the BIOS version number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The BIOS version is "V2.13".
  • globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The BIOS version is "V2.13".
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. If v2.13 was original factory, then for Win7 it must be set to legacy BIOS mode. ****The Win7 installation disk will not work in UEFI bootstrap mode. Win7 can only be installed in legacy BIOS mode on an MBR partitioned HDD*****  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• globetrotterdk

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    OK. If v2.13 was original factory, then for Win7 it must be set to legacy BIOS mode. ****The Win7 installation disk will not work in UEFI bootstrap mode. Win7 can only be installed in legacy BIOS mode on an MBR partitioned HDD*****  Jack E/NJ
    Can the BIOS be updated to change this behavior? I have been told that UEFI is preferable to Legacy mode, as Legacy mode is only an emulation layer. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, the BIOS chip cannot be changed since it's the nature of the Windows version that relevant. UEFI mode is ONLY preferred for Win8.x & Win10 on a GPT-partition HDD or SSD. NOT Win7. Win7 will only install and run under a BIOS mode on an MBR-partition HDD or SSD. Whether or not legacy BIOS mode is an emulation layer is totally irrelevant for Win7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ