Bluetooth disappeared on Aspire VN7-791G (Windows 10)

Options
JesseBusman
JesseBusman Member Posts: 4 New User
My laptop is a Aspire V17 Nitro - Black Edition (VN7-791G) running Windows 10 with the latest updates.

I wanted to disconnect and unpair my bluetooth headphones from my laptop, so I went to Bluetooth in the Settings and clicked "Remove device".
A few seconds later, the bluetooth icon in the tray disppeared, the bluetooth menu in Setting disappeared. Bluetooth has also completely disappeared from Device Manager.

If I try to run the Windows Troubleshoot, it says "Bluetooth is not available on this device. Please try using an external adapter to add Bluetooth capability to this computer.". This is of course absurd, I was just listening to music.

I've tried rebooting many times, it does not help.

On acer.com there are 4 bluetooth drivers listed for my laptop:
- Bluetooth Driver (2015/08/27, version 17.1.1529.1620, Vendor: Intel)
- Bluetooth Driver (2015/08/28, version 12.0.1.653, Vendor: Broadcom)
- Bluetooth Driver (NFA222) (2016/11/22, version 10.0.1.0, Vendor: Atheros)
- Bluetooth Driver (NFA344) (2016/11/22, version 10.0.0.1021, Vendor: Atheros)

Which of these bluetooth drivers do I need?
Because I don't know which one I need, for each of them I have tried uninstalling, installing and repairing them, then rebooting. It does not help.

How can I get bluetooth back? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    JesseBusman

Did you checked whether the Bluetooth device is listed under hidden devices in Device manager?
    Have you checked whether the Bluetooth driver is listed under installed programs under Programs and features? 
    Please try the below mentioned steps: 

In device manager, click on "view" tab and select "show hidden devices" and check whether Bluetooth device/driver is listed.
    To check the drivers installed in Programs and features, Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Programs and features and check whether the Bluetooth driver is installed.

>>I would suggest you check if Bluetooth Support service is started.
    Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard, type services.msc and press OK.
    Now, find Bluetooth Support Service and start it
    Double click on the Bluetooth Support Service set the startup type as Automatic.   

>>You can try a system restore to previous date when the Bluetooth device was working fine and check the issue.

>>Try to restore the bluetooth icon in system tray.
    Type bluetooth in Start Menu searchbox and it'll show a few entries in result set. Click on "Change Bluetooth Settings" entry.
    It'll open Bluetooth Settings window where you can enable bluetooth icon by selecting "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area" option and apply it.
    That's it. It'll restore the bluetooth icon in system tray.

>>To install the correct driver, expand the network adapter in device manager, check if the adapter is Atheros (NFA222 or  NFA344),  Broadcom, Intel. Then download the same manufacturer driver for Bluetooth.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JesseBusman
    JesseBusman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. They probably would have helped.

I noticed a malfunctioning device (with a yellow triangle) under the heading "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager. It didn't say Bluetooth, but I guessed it might be it.

I ran the windows "Hardware and Devices" Troubleshoot on this device. I don't know what it did, but it fixed it.

I have to say, Bluetooth is really shaky and flimsy on all three Acer Aspire laptops I've used. It regularly disappears or doesn't work in some other way.

• EdXSam
    EdXSam Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i did have same problem, and i did fallowed all those instructions here- nothing helps. i installed, uninstalled, repaired, did anything and no shows up bluetooth any installs and nothing. i even did talk to windows (microsoft) about it, nothing yet. i got same laptop like that previous owner got- Acer Aspire  V.... but here nothing helps. Microsoft worker told me to wait and hopefully it will fixed in next few updates. ???

• Myshaa21
    Myshaa21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi!
    i have the same problem.
    cannot connect Galaxy Buds Pro to a laptop, nothing helps.
    can find all devices around just no Galaxy Buds
    any suggestions?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Myshaa21,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• washere
    washere Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    FIX IS BELOW:
    i tired all, update drivers etc, no blutooth in device manager etc. 

Fix is:
    1 usb controller is disabled after updates, enable it again in device maanger:

Fix was by kokola:

"Anyway...checked the usb controller (inside the device manager) and noticed one of it was disable (something intel(R) something....)

Enabled it and BAMM! my bluetooth back to normal."

• washereisagod100
    washereisagod100 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    washere said:
    FIX IS BELOW:

Fix is:

Fix was by kokola:

"Anyway...checked the usb controller (inside the device manager) and noticed one of it was disable (something intel(R) something....)

I have gone without bluetooth for 3 years on my aspirve V nitro. I tried every suggestion I could find became more familiar with windows settings than with even my own family. I resigned to a fate of never using headphones or a wireless gamepad again. I learned to game with a mouse and keyboard over this, but now thanks to this post a made a week ago and a random urge to try searching again after so long I can have it back. Thank you washere and thank you kokola. 
  • Bluetoothworksagain
    Bluetoothworksagain Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    washere said:
    FIX IS BELOW:

Fix is:

Fix was by kokola:

I have gone without bluetooth for 3 years on my aspirve V nitro. I tried every suggestion I could find became more familiar with windows settings than with even my own family. I resigned to a fate of never using headphones or a wireless gamepad again. I learned to game with a mouse and keyboard over this, but now thanks to this post a made a week ago and a random urge to try searching again after so long I can have it back. Thank you washere and thank you kokola. 
    Guys, thank you so much for fixing this. I thought I was never going to fix this. That was the problem indeed. 

So for those who still weren't able to fix this problem: 
    1) Go to device manager
    2) Go to the USB-controllers section (you might have to click on <view> first and then enable the <hidden devices>)
    3) Make sure all the USB-devices with Intel standing in front of them are enabled.