Fans Making a odd noise

DragonManMike
DragonManMike Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I've had my Helios 300 for about 6 months now and I have just started to notice a slight noise from my fans when they are spinning at low speeds. I don't recall them doing this before so I am worried that the bearings on my fans are going.  Fans spin up just find but the noise turns to a noticeable whine when they are at full speed. Temps never go above 80C though so its functioning normally. Is there a way to maybe clean the fans without taking it apart? It could be they are just dirty and need cleaning?

I just want to make sure there is not problem or if I need to go out and get it serviced. So if anyone has any advice that would be awesome

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It very well could be an imbalance of the fans with dust built up. 

You can try using compressed air (dusting for electronics) and shoot air in *bursts* into the left side of the fan so they spin clockwise from the laptops normal resting position. 

Be sure to have laptop OFF and to only use short bursts as the air cans can give a liquid spray if held longer then a second. 
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    It very well could be an imbalance of the fans with dust built up. 

You can try using compressed air (dusting for electronics) and shoot air in *bursts* into the left side of the fan so they spin clockwise from the laptops normal resting position. 

Be sure to have laptop OFF and to only use short bursts as the air cans can give a liquid spray if held longer then a second. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • DragonManMike
    Update

Tried cleaning the fans and the buzzing, vibrating noise is lessened but still there. Wondering if there is more dust, should I do another cleaning?

Also I noticed today that my idle/light use temps were between 50-60C where they are normally 45-55C no changes in the type of load I am putting on the system. 
  • Red-Sand
    It could be dust for sure bro, the fact that this much changed from you trying to remove dust shows it has a factor. 

I have to open the bottom of the chassis to get at the dust especially for the aeroblades since where the blades meet the center gets very thin it's easy for dust to get trapped. 

Let me know if it works bro! 
    - Hotel Hero
  • DragonManMike
    Thank you so much. Makes me feel a lot better. I'll look at some tutorials on how to open up the case. Shouldn't be too hard. 
  • Red-Sand
    Thank you so much. Makes me feel a lot better. I'll look at some tutorials on how to open up the case. Shouldn't be too hard. 
    https://youtu.be/HoO9q_svwz0
    - Hotel Hero
  • Husham
    Husham Member Posts: 2 New User
    hello all,
    i have notice my newly bought acer predatoe helios 300 2019 model was making a noise from the right side fan on normal mode. is this normal or this there any problem?