Unable to install drivers after reinstalling Windows 10 on Acer Swtich (SW1-011-12FE)

zeehobbit
zeehobbit Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
The Acer Switch came in with only 4 GB free space from a 32 GB had drive. The model number is SW1-011-12FE. Reinstalled Windows 10, but now multiple drivers will not install. Downloaded the BIOS, Intel Platform and G Sensor Kionix drivers from the Acer support download page. The BIOS and the 'G Sensor Kionix' driver installed properly. The installer in the 'Intel Platform Drivers' finishes successfully, but there are still problems afterwards. The touchscreen does not work and the network driver is not setup. There is no network adapter under the Network and Sharing Center. Installed the Realtek 8723BS Bluetooth and WLAN driver from Realtek's website as well, but that didn't help. Has anyone had any success with reinstalling Windows on this device?

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    zeehobbit 

Try to install the driver manually. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
    Open Device Manager, click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
    Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark.
    Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    Restart your computer.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • zeehobbit
    Answer ✓
    SOLVED:
    Was able to connect my phone via USB for internet. Went into Device Manager and let it search online for drivers and it found them. It still installed the same device 'Realtek RTL8723BS Wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter'. I don't know why it didn't install properly from Acer's or Realtek's drivers, but Windows was able to set it up. Thank you for everyone for your help.

Answers

• Sharanji
    zeehobbit 
    Did you reinstall the same windows 10 that was preinstalled on your device?
    Do you have the USB recovery media that you created using the Acer care center application?
    The Platform Drivers Installer is bundled with all the device drivers for your device. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    @zeehobbit >>>The Acer Switch came in with only 4 GB free space from a 32 GB had drive. The model number is SW1-011-12FE. Reinstalled Windows 10>>>

Did you re-install Win10 from the hidden recovery partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zeehobbit
    Sharanji said:
    zeehobbit 
    Did you reinstall the same windows 10 that was preinstalled on your device?
    Do you have the USB recovery media that you created using the Acer care center application?
    The Platform Drivers Installer is bundled with all the device drivers for your device. 

Yes, installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Did not create a recovery USB, which I now greatly regret  :'(
    JackE said:
    @zeehobbit >>>The Acer Switch came in with only 4 GB free space from a 32 GB had drive. The model number is SW1-011-12FE. Reinstalled Windows 10>>>

Did you re-install Win10 from the hidden recovery partition? Jack E/NJ
    When reinstalling, I let the Windows installer wipe the existing partitions and recreate them the way it wanted to. It wiped everything that Acer had put beforehand(hence why I gained so much hard drive space, but ruined the drivers).

I tried to install 32bit Windows, but the firmware can only be set to UEFI, can not switch the laptop to support BIOS.
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    zeehobbit 

Try to install the driver manually. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
    Open Device Manager, click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
    Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark.
    Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    Restart your computer.

• zeehobbit
    Thank you, but that did not work either unfortunately. I got the network adapter's model number Realtek 8723BS. Downloaded it from Realtek's website. Tried to run the Realtek installer and also tried to go to install it from the Device Manager by pointing it to both the Acer drivers folder as well as the Realtek drivers folder that I downloaded. There are still 3 Unknown devices in the Device Manager. Two say Unknown Device and the 3rd is called 'Generic SDIO Device'. That should be the network driver, but no matter what I try it won't install.
  • zeehobbit
    Answer ✓
    SOLVED:
    Was able to connect my phone via USB for internet. Went into Device Manager and let it search online for drivers and it found them. It still installed the same device 'Realtek RTL8723BS Wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network Adapter'. I don't know why it didn't install properly from Acer's or Realtek's drivers, but Windows was able to set it up. Thank you for everyone for your help.