ELAN Tech Fingerprint sensor stopped working with Windows update 1803

Sebastjan
Sebastjan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I am a pretty happy user of Acer S5-371 laptop.

I almost gave up on Fingerprint sensor after I installed the Windows Update 1803. 
I have done all recommended troubleshooting (reboot, reinstall driver, enabled biometrics in Windows and BIOS...).
Then I decided to roll back the update and fingeprint sensor started working.

The problem is that Windows will at some point "decide" to install the update again by itself. And then the whole story will repeat. 

Solution: 
Can ACER somehow provide a new driver for fingerprint sensor?
The latest driver on support website is:

Date: 2017/01/10

Version: 1.6.3.1

Vendor: ELANTECH

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Fingerprint/Fingerprint_ELANTECH_1.6.3.1_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636196276687979125&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE S5-371&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>The problem is that Windows will at some point "decide" to install the update again by itself. And then the whole story will repeat>>>

You've found the best temporary solution at the moment. If/when it happens again, just open Device Mgr and rollback Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>The problem is that Windows will at some point "decide" to install the update again by itself. And then the whole story will repeat>>>

You've found the best temporary solution at the moment. If/when it happens again, just open Device Mgr and rollback Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• leonexis
    leonexis Member Posts: 3 New User
    For anyone who has spent hours trying to find the updated driver, it is available on the support page for a newer model of laptop:

Product Support for SP515-51N
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7383?b=1

The version there is 1.6.10.1102. I installed this newer version and all I had to do was delete the device in device manager and rescan for changes to install the new driver properly. In my case, I have an Acer Aspire R5-571TG, so I suspect it will work for just about any of their laptops with this reader. 

Yes, Acer does have updated drivers. No, they won't go back and update their support pages with it. I have been less than pleased with their support and quality requiring ME to pay shipping to repair a laptop that had a manufacturing defect. It's a shame, too, since I used to recommend Acer to all my clients.
  • ajm
    ajm Member Posts: 24 Networker
    leonexis said:
    For anyone who has spent hours trying to find the updated driver, it is available on the support page for a newer model of laptop:

Product Support for SP515-51N
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7383?b=1

The version there is 1.6.10.1102. I installed this newer version and all I had to do was delete the device in device manager and rescan for changes to install the new driver properly. In my case, I have an Acer Aspire R5-571TG, so I suspect it will work for just about any of their laptops with this reader. 

Yes, Acer does have updated drivers. No, they won't go back and update their support pages with it. I have been less than pleased with their support and quality requiring ME to pay shipping to repair a laptop that had a manufacturing defect. It's a shame, too, since I used to recommend Acer to all my clients.
    Seriously WTAF is going on with Acer's drivers? Unbelievably shoddy.