Acer Aspire 5613 - How to check if the motherboard is burnt out?

kostasfxr
kostasfxr Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,
My old Aspire 5613 had the DC power jack broken and I had to keep the cable bent at a certain position in order to keep it on. I decided to replace the DC jack by myself but since I didn't have the desoldering tools I took the motherboard to an electronics repair store. The guy replaced the jack (the one I ordered from ebay) and when I plugged the power cable and pressed the power on button nothing happened. Of course, I tried on the naked MB without RAM/HDD and or other parts plugged in. On top of that the DC jack snapped off again :anguished: So, my questions are:

- did I have to assemble the MB together with other components of the laptop before I try?

- Is it possible that the MB is burnt out because the guy was not competent enough? How can I check?

- is this DC jack the right one? (I am sure it looked alike the broken OEM one). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Power-Jack-Socket-DC061-1-Acer-Aspire-2350-3100-3650-3690-5070-5100-5110-5610/261013133824?epid=1188264041&hash=item3cc5985a00:g:EU4AAOxyg7xSXt3P

- can I sent you the picture of the MB so you could maybe have a look on it's state?

Thanks in advance and sorry for this long questionnaire :)

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi, Considering safety in mind.... I recommend you to get the unit to local technician place and have all component added and try powering on. Also ensure that soldered part is done perfectly as it should not have any short circuit. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• kostasfxr
    Balatekie said:
    Hi, Considering safety in mind.... I recommend you to get the unit to local technician place and have all component added and try powering on. Also ensure that soldered part is done perfectly as it should not have any short circuit. 
    Thanks @Balatekie
    In fact it is a 10+ years old laptop and I wouldn't bother to take it back to them or to another technician as it doesn't worth. I have used it for a spare laptop and since it was only the DC jack, it's a pity to just waste it. I will most probably try to do it myself just for the experience. I have noticed that the previous technician scratched off the green coating of the board (in order to clean the old solder) and the surface was left with the colour of copper which is beneath the green coating. This copper coloured surface is about 1 square cm and covers the area under the DC jack. Is it maybe a sign of a problem?
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    kostasfxr For perfect soldering the surface is must. Hence, the coating removal is normal for a soldering procedure, and that would not be a problem for MB short circuit. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• kostasfxr
    Balatekie said:
    kostasfxr For perfect soldering the surface is must. Hence, the coating removal is normal for a soldering procedure, and that would not be a problem for MB short circuit. 
    Thanks! I will get back with some pictures later this afternoon so you get a better idea :)
  • kostasfxr
    edited May 2018
    Balatekie said:
    Here's the MB from both sides. Do you think it looks normal?