Switch 5 Pen and keyboard / trackpad not responsive after resuming the tablet from sleep

debighosh
debighosh Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Acer Switch 5 SW512-52P. Bought it as I thought it was a great value over Microsoft Surface but I am repenting my decision.
I use my Switch 5 to take notes at work during long meetings. Sometimes the laptop will go to sleep, and when I wake the tablet it will not recognize the pen. It will be almost 2- 3 minutes before it will recognise the pen. By that time I have missed noting a lot of the points being made.
Same thing happens for the keyboard and trackpad, They will not be recognized after resuming the tablet from sleep unless i physically detach and reattach the keyboard.
Has anyone else faced a similar issue and managed to find any workarounds?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Go to power plan in settings. Make sure hibernate and/or sleep modes are the way you want them. If still no joy, you can always disable these modes at the expense of battery. If you disable these modes, you might also try to reduce screen brightness to save battery after so many minutes of idleness. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isomage
    isomage Member Posts: 3 New User
    I've got the same issue on my switch 5. 

Interestingly, had exactly the same issue on the previous one as well, which i just got exchanged due to BSODs. I've nowfound that the BSOD issue was most likely to do with the autumn windows 10 update 1803.

I close the lid, wait for the blue light to go out, when i open the lid the laptop resumes, the keyboard backlight flashes once and then the 'tablet mode' indicator comes on screen and the only way to get the keyboard and touchpad working again is to physically disconnect and re-attach.

I've tried the following:
    Changing the 'allow this device to wake my pc' to ticked for all synaptics touchpads and all keyboards shown in device manager.
    Changing the PCI Express  - link state power management setting to disabled for on battery and on mains in the current power plan (balanced)
    Changing the USB settings  - selective suspend - to disabled for battery / mains in current power plan (balanced)
    Turning off (and back on) S3 state setting for the lid in UEFI bios.

Really not sure what else I can try! Please post if someone manages to resolve this :)

• JackE
    @isomage Try making your own performance plan instead of balanced. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• isomage
    isomage Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks Jack. 
    I've resolved this issue, at least for my laptop! Here is what I did:
    Upgraded Bios from 1.05 to 1.06 (didn't fix the issue)
    Went to the Acer Support website and started installing the latest drivers:
    Chipset Driver (KAbylake)
    Virtual Buttons

The virtual buttons driver caused a forced reboot, and the issue after that point had gone away.

So anyone else trying this might want to jump straight to installing the virtual buttons driver and see if that solves the issue, and if not work backwards!
  • JackE
    @isomage Thanks for posting your solution. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chris_radelaide
    chris_radelaide Member Posts: 2 New User
    i have had the same issue and upgraded the BIOS, now so far so good. i will keep you posted
  • JackE
    @chris_radelaide Thanks for posting. Was it only the BIOS update that resolved your issue? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chris_radelaide
    chris_radelaide Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE yeah man, updated the bios from 1.03-1.04-1.06 in that order worked perfectly.
  • andy_h
    andy_h Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks for your solutions isomar..
    I had the same problem and tried your tricks in reverse.
    The virtual buttons driver and a restart made no difference, but when I installed the updated Chipset Driver (KAbylake) and restarted everything seems to work just fine. Am HAPPY AS, this issues has been ongoing since purchase and was really annoying !
    cheers