Hello, can anybody tell me if it is possible to run Windows 7 on an Aspire V5-573?

Options
Theblackredstart
Theblackredstart Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I am currently running W10 and I want to create a dual boot W7/10 system.
Thank you
Paul

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi blackredstart,

nice nickname :) if you need to install the dual OS. follow the steps below...

Obviously you’ll need a copy of Windows to install, and this should needs to be burned onto a CD or written to a USB stick. Microsoft provides a downloadable version of Windows 10 on its site, although you’ll still need a product key to activate it if you intend to use the operating system long term.

Fortunately the days of dealing with an 'ISO' file are over: when you download Windows 10 using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, the process is automatic. That means you'll end up with a USB stick that your computer can boot from.

NOTE: As you’re installing an operating system we recommend you do a full backup of your data, as there's no guarantee something won't go wrong and you wouldn’t want to lose precious files.

Here are the basic steps before we get to the details:

1. Install a new hard drive, or create a new partition on the existing one using the Windows Disk Management Utility
    2. Plug in the USB stick containing the new version of Windows, then reboot the PC.
    3. Install Windows 10, being sure to select the Custom option.
    4. Select the newly created partition or the other hard disk as the destination for Windows 10. Then click Next to install the operating system.

How do I install a second copy of Windows?

If you have a new hard drive (or SSD) or a spare one, you can use this to install the second copy of Windows. If you don't have one, or you can't install a second because you have a laptops, you'll need to use your existing hard drive and partition it.

Create a new partition

If you need to install a second version of Windows on the same hard drive as the first, make space on it. This can be tricky if you’re running low on storage, as Windows 10 ideally requires around 20-25GB (and we recommend at least 50GB).

Here's how to find and delete large files taking up space. Once you’ve backed up any files that are important you’ll need to go to the Windows Disk Management utility. To do so hold down the Windows key and press R. This opens a box, into which you type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. 

You’ll now see a list of the partitions on your hard drive. Select the primary partition, usually called (C:), and then right click and select Shrink Volume.

Now you’ll see another window that shows you the size of the partition, and asks you to Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB. To create a 25GB partition you’ll need to enter 25000 then click Shrink. This will modify the partition, allowing you the space you need to install Windows 10.

dual boot windows 10

How do I install Windows 10?

Place the previously created CD or USB version of Windows 10 into your PC and reboot the machine. You should be taken straight to the installation process, but if your machine goes back to your normal operating system straight away you’ll need to adjust the boot sequence in your BIOS. Check out our guide on How to enter the BIOS to help you achieve this.

When the install sequence starts you’ll need to select the Custom option.

dual boot Windows 10

This opens up a panel which asks you Where do you want to install Windows? From the presented options select the one entitled Unallocated Space, which should be 25GB. Click Apply and once Windows has created the partition click Next.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Theblackredstart
    Theblackredstart Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello Christy1 and thank you so much for your speedy and detailed response!
    Judging by your answer I don't think I explained myself correctly so I'll go through this again...

I have an Aspire V5-573.
    I am running W10.
    I also need W7 so I want to install W7 and make my laptop dual boot W7/W10.
    My question is will my hardware work with W7?
    I know there is some discussion elsewhere on this forum re W7 and the V5-573G (slightly different model no) but I'm not going to assume that what applies to the V5-573G also applies to the V5-573.

Most grateful for an answer / opinion on this question and any tips on any BIOS / setup modifications that might be needed.

Thanks
    Paul