Anybody know how to make a "crisis recovery disk"for the Sw10

Options
Amonsms
Amonsms Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
  I have a switch 10 with a corrupted bios. I have downloaded wincrisis.exe. made a "crisis disk" recovery USB.On that recovery usb I have placed the bios.rom , used .fd and .wph .rom attributes. I have held thr fn & esc key on boot up. It reads the USB for few secl, the USB stops flashing and nothing happens. I figure I haven't got the right name for the ROM file.
Any help would be appreciated thx

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    What is your full model number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Amonsms

Tinkerer

Options
    SW1-011-170R 

• JackE
    Options
    Your particular BIOS chip does not use the method you've been trying. If it hasn't been damaged, the firmware should be fixed by--

(1) Renaming the BIOS.xxx file to BIOS.bin. It must be the only file in the root directory of the FAT32 stick.

(2) Turn the system completely off. Remove the AC adapter. Insert the stick. Then plug the AC adapter in again.

(3) Press & hold the volume down + the volume up + the power buttons all at the same time.

(4) Once the system turns on and you see LED activity in the stick, release all three buttons

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Amonsms

Tinkerer

Options
    Thx Jack E
    But no joy!, The usb flashes a couple times then stays lit , blue power light on top also stays lit  
  • Amonsms

Tinkerer

Options
    Can anyone pick out the bios, i might have to surface program or remove to program 
  • JackE
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, you try it again. Give it 15 mins or so to read the stick before declaring a failure to communicate. And then try it one more time after that. If still no joy, then I'd like to hear your theory on how you think the BIOS got corrupted in the first place. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Amonsms

Tinkerer

Options
    Lol, forgot to check battery bfore I updated the bios and i was watching as it died bfore it finished. I downgraded it earlier in the day so I could install 32bit win10 (it had 64bit) on it so I was familiar with the process.. in fact I thought it checked for the power cable and the battery level. but I guess it just warns you to check ...wups, my bad lol
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I downgraded it earlier in the day so I could install 32bit win10 (it had 64bit) on it so I was familiar with the process.>>>

Hmmm? This could be an interesting learning experience at least for me. What method did you use the downgrade? The BIOS executables don't ordinarily allow this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Amonsms

Tinkerer

Options
    Sent you a message, and still no joy on the bios thx amonsma
  • Browseyou
    Browseyou Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Amonsms said:
      I have a switch 10 with a corrupted bios. I have downloaded wincrisis.exe. made a "crisis disk" recovery USB.On that recovery usb I have placed the bios.rom , used .fd and .wph .rom attributes. I have held thr fn & esc key on boot up. It reads the USB for few secl, the USB stops flashing and nothing happens. I figure I haven't got the right name for the ROM file.
    Any help would be appreciated thx
    I can't find rom for this device, can you tell there find it?
  • JackE
    Options
    Try a PM directly to @Amonsms since the ACER versions are embedded in the extracted executables. He may have simply renamed the BIOS_xxx.exe to BIOS.bin. Worth a try if he doesn't respond. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ