Aspire e5-575-33BM: Computer not recognizing Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD after win10 reinstall

Options
brett549
brett549 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
 I'm having no luck on getting my machine to recognize this device (Samsung 850 EVO M.2 2280 250gb SATA III SSD (internal), model MZ-N5E250, MZNLN250HMHQ).  Computer Management/System Tools/Device Manager show an Unknown Device under DISK DRIVES the same under OTHER DEVICES. 
Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management show a DISK 1 as unknown and not initialized with nothing shown about the drive size.  When first entering Disk Management pop up a window to initialize disk one again nothing is should about the disk attributes.
My system is an Acer E5-575-33bm with the ram upgraded to 16 gb DDR4.  I3-7100 (kabylake) 2.4 GHZ with 2 cores.  My Acer Care center also shows the second drive as HDD and 0GB. 
've downloaded several tools to try probably the best of which is CrystalDiskInfo ver 7.6

If anyone has any other ideas what I should try I sure welcome them.

Best Answer

• brett549
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I called Samsung support and once I was routed to the correct area, after a few questions the gentleman I spoke with said it sounded like there was a genuine issue with the SSD.  I went ahead and bought a new one and installed it.  I do plan to send the faulty one back to Samsung.  I'll decide what to do with it in several weeks when I get the replacement.  Thanks to everyone for you assistance

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Disk Management show a DISK 1 as unknown and not initialized>>>

Did you try to initialize it with Disk Mgt? Then convert it to a GPT partition? Then format it to NTFS? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brett549
    edited May 2018
    Options
    No I haven't yet.  All the video's I saw about initialization showed up in Disk Management with the size of the drive displayed.  Also I just right clicked on it and I have to select GPT or MBR when Initializing.  I was a little unsure what size to put in since it is a 250 gig and memory never seems to be such an even number.  When I first loaded all the drivers on my system, the Unknown Drive went away under System Tools/Device Manager/Disk Drives and Storage/Disk Manager.  This is a new development today (showing back up in Disk Drives and Disk Management)  but is originally how it looked.  The one constant is under System Tools/Device Manager - There has always been an entry for Unknown under Other Devices.  I'm not opposed to trying to initialize it, it just looks different with no size information listed and the videos I saw about initializing the drive said leave the size alone.  What are your thoughts?

• brett549
    Options
    One more thing, I just rebooted to see if BIOS shows the SSD and it does not.  Will initializing it under windows correct that?  Thanks!
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you please post the snip of your Disk management.

• brett549
    Options
    here it is.  I should not it will not allow me to initialize

• JackE
    edited May 2018
    Options
    But you said earlier >>>Also I just right clicked on it and I have to select GPT or MBR when Initializing.>>>

Just right click on it the same way and select GPT. Then format to NTFS. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Right click Disk1 and select Initialize, choose GPT for Partition style, follow the instructions here:https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/disk-1-unknown-not-initialized-windows-10-4125.html
  • brett549
    Options
    I right clicked and went ahead and tried it after that response.  I figured what could it hurt, doesn't work anyway.  When I right click I get this:

next this message if gpt:

this if I select MBR:

I'm at a loss.  

other things I've tried

change BIOS back to defalul
    Remove and reseat the SSD in the SATA 
    unplug the battery then hold the power down for a minute to get all the power out of system.
    tried several tools including Samsung Magician and data migration, Minitool Power Data Recovery, Minitool Partition Wizard 10, Windows memory tool (I forget the exact name)

I appreciate your help
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You can try contacting Samsung.  They have 10,000 paid customer support people working 24/7.......and they'll let you know if the SSD is defective.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/cs/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    10,000 eh. Wonder how much they're paid. How much you wanna bet they'll say there's obviously a problem with the ACER m.2 slot not our Samsung card?  =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Nah.  Samsung is in the top 15 wealthiest companies in the world.   Market cap of $344 billion
    I suspect Samsung will hold your hand on the phone and walk you through the entire cloning process with their software......or determine whether it's defective.....and ship out a new one....and buy your breakfast.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • brett549
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I called Samsung support and once I was routed to the correct area, after a few questions the gentleman I spoke with said it sounded like there was a genuine issue with the SSD.  I went ahead and bought a new one and installed it.  I do plan to send the faulty one back to Samsung.  I'll decide what to do with it in several weeks when I get the replacement.  Thanks to everyone for you assistance