Acer Predator Helios 300 P317-51 with weird stuttering/intermittent freezing.

nvmvoidrays
nvmvoidrays Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
alright, i got this laptop for work related purposes, but, i also wanted it to be powerful enough to do 1080p gaming on at decent graphical settings without breaking the bank. thus, this laptop seemed to fit the bill: i7-7700HQ, 16 GB of RAM, GTX 1060 6 GB.

so far, i haven't tested or downloaded many of the games i wanted to try, but, theortically, they should be able to run at 1080/60 without a hitch since my desktop with a weaker CPU and the same GPU runs it silky smooth.

however, the games that i did install (Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, AoE2:HD), they seem to have random, intermittent freezes and stuttering, which, flat out shouldn't happen. i should be able to run those listed games with any rando-$300 laptop from Walmart, let alone a dedicated gaming one.

surprisingly, there wasn't many unnecessary programs installed when i received it, but, i did update everything. windows 10 is updated, drivers are up to date, etc. i removed all the Acer programs, but the Predator Sense (but, is there an alternative for this for fan control?), the four intel programs: Rapid Storage Technology, Graphics Driver, Management Engine Compnents and Serial IO. i don't think any of these are interfering since the RST improves hard drive speeds (allegedly), graphics driver is for the integrated card, MEC is disabled via services and Serial IO is for the touchpad. other than that and Predator Sense, all the other bloatware/Acer programs were uninstalled. for what i uninstalled, i got Firefox/Chrome/Avast; i mage sure Avast was on silent/game mode so no interruptions are made. 

i'm also not sure that it matters, but, i have a Logitech G403 and a Corsair K55 RGB plugged in as well as a cooler, but not turned on because it's not needed. i checked the temps for each game and as expected, they're sub-50. i don't think these could be causing any issues (and they don't seem to, since, the issues still persist when they're not connected), but you never know.

duirng the three games i listed, i'll just get random freezes for about a second, or there abouts, and random stutters for just as long before the game continues seamlessly. i'm stumped as to what could be causing the issues. any help would be appreciated. 

Answers

• TheRealestPepito
    TheRealestPepito Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I'm having the same issue with my Helios 300 G3-571. Happening in R6S and BF4 that I have installed on my secondary SSD. PUBG's running on my primary SSD and it seems to run ok. i wonder if its an ssd issue? I will try to revert to the previous Nvidia driver as it seems that this issue started with an update of some kind.
  • TheRealestPepito
    TheRealestPepito Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

So i've solved my stuttering issues. Not sure if that's gonna help you but you can give it a try.

1. Downloaded the previous Nvidia Driver from their website (v391.35)
    2. Uninstalled all the Nvidia Drivers and software from Add or remove programs in Control panel including Geforce Experience.
    3. Restarted my PC in safe mode and ran DDU to clear all remnants of previous drivers.
    4. Restarted PC and installed 391.35. (Make sure to go into custom install and untick Geforce Experience)

That worked for me. Siege and BF4 as smooth as ever. Not sure which of the steps did it but it worked. Hope that helps.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    I've read other negative comment regarding the more recent NVidia drivers and why I have left my G9-793 on 390.77 as it's no problem at all.

Q-6
  • nvmvoidrays

Tinkerer

Queen6 said:
    I've read other negative comment regarding the more recent NVidia drivers and why I have left my G9-793 on 390.77 as it's no problem at all.

Q-6

So i've solved my stuttering issues. Not sure if that's gonna help you but you can give it a try.

1. Downloaded the previous Nvidia Driver from their website (v391.35)
    2. Uninstalled all the Nvidia Drivers and software from Add or remove programs in Control panel including Geforce Experience.
    3. Restarted my PC in safe mode and ran DDU to clear all remnants of previous drivers.
    4. Restarted PC and installed 391.35. (Make sure to go into custom install and untick Geforce Experience)

That worked for me. Siege and BF4 as smooth as ever. Not sure which of the steps did it but it worked. Hope that helps.
    hmm, i'll try this then. i got nothing to lose. yeah, to your previous post, i did install everything on the regular hard drive and not the SSD since i wanted to save it for games that would actually need the loading speeds (such as Overwatch, LoL, etc

i hated Geforce Experience anyway, so, i already uninstalled that. i only kept the driver and PhysX installed.
  • nvmvoidrays

Tinkerer

since i can't edit it, that didn't work. :anguished:

i'll try more demanding games, maybe it's just AoE 2:HD and Slay the Spire, but, it still seems... strange.
  • nvmvoidrays

Tinkerer

anyone figure this out yet? i'd love to know.

i also have my auto-dimming still going off and it won't stop until i reenable it, disable it, and restart. it's rather annoying.