Upgrade RAM currently at 2 gb

MickieNYC
MickieNYC Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Hi everyone.  I was directed here by AnswersBy -  I have a (dinosaur) Gateway DX430x Tower. It came with, and has, 2GB RAM that I would like to upgrade. The desktop runs a home network, not used for anything but ordinary use (no gaming/streaming).  I have all of my paperwork from the purchase, but I cannot find out how much RAM I can add to this tower. Do you know how much I can upgrade to just to make it run a bit more efficiently?  Thank you.  M

Best Answers

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    MickieNYC 

This model has 4 memory slots. The Max Supported dual channel memory Size of 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM with Memory Speed 667 MHz PC2-5300, 240-pin modules.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    Could you give me the first ten characters of the desktop serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.
    France
  • MickieNYC
    MickieNYC Member Posts: 2 New User
    Wow that was quick.  I did look up the serial number on Gateway's (old) support. Laurent - it's so old it only has 10 numbers!  It is also Windows 7 - 32 bit - without making any other changes to the tower, is it true that the 32-bit limits me to a total of 4GB RAM, which means, my upgrade at this point will be to purchase an additional 2GB?
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    MickieNYC said:
    Is it true that the 32-bit limits me to a total of 4GB RAM, which means, my upgrade at this point will be to purchase an additional 2GB?
    Yes it's true. Windows 32-bit (X86) supports up to 4GB:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778
    France