Are not ALL ACTIVE Stylus / Pens THE SAME?

JohnnyFive55
JohnnyFive55 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 4 in 2018 Archives
Meaning the technology in general and excluding proprietary implementations, say like Wacom for example and I'm just guessing there?

So if a stylus/pen device is using a generic (hence, popular) Active technology (which is probably dominated by a manufacturer or two) would work with any tablet/computer that uses this same generic technology?

I'm trying simplify matters to make searching for a Stylus for my Switch 3 and don't want to have to dig through each and every product on the web, researching whether it's compatible or not?
LOL, just dawned on me to search this now and have found, at first glance at least, there are two Wacom & N-trig, if not more. 

Can anyone speak further to this question and those findings? I'll continue my own efforts in the mean time. Just trying to see if I can get a better pen than the Acer Active Stylus ASA630 for less money?

Thanks and Cheers!

Answers

• TomD
    TomD Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

The best thing is buy the recommended pen for your device ...
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    As you discovered there are several different stylus technologies to deal with. Your best bet is to just choose one of the recommended ones, but if you're adventurous you could give a few a try that aren't specific to an obvious different technology. You wouldn't need to try anything that's Wacom specific, for instance, because if it were Wacom it's be advertised as such.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JohnnyFive55
    JohnnyFive55 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

TomD said:
    The best thing is buy the recommended pen for your device ...
    I know, I know, it's the obvious safe choice. If you can find one? Or didn't need to get a better price or a better pen for the money? :-)