KG271 problem with adjusting screen size and positioning

Marana
Marana Member Posts: 7 New User
edited May 2018 in Monitors
I just added a 4th monitor to my setup and my main monitor (Acer KG271 A) changed it's screen size, so that there's a black area on both sides and on top (about 0,5cm on each side). The bottom does not have the black area.
I thought it would be a quick fix from the monitor's own settings menu, but there is no options for screen size or positioning.
I checked the manual and there is a picture of the same menu, that DOES have those positioning settings.
How can I activate those settings (if possible)? Didn't at least find any firmware update for the model.

It's a bit annoyning, as the bottom icons' text on my desktop go just a bit under the windows taskbar.
The size was fine before I added the 2nd GPU (Radeon RX550) and the 4th display (Acer K222HQL). All other monitors don't have the problem, only the KG271.
The current Radeon settings panel doesn't have the size + positioning settings anymore either.

So any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Windows 7
Res: 1920x1080 on all 4 monitors
2x Radeon RX550 Aero ITX

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Marana 

In some cases, the image may not scale to properly fit the entire screen area of the display. The display must first be set to its native resolution and refresh rate.  
    To adjust the screen image using the HDMI Scaling option within Radeon Settings, follow the steps below:
    Right click on your desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings. Click on the Radeon Settings icon in the System Tray
    Select Radeon Settings from the Programs menu, Select Display
    You will see the HDMI Scaling settings on the screen.  HDMI Scaling defaults at 0% and can be adjusted using the slider.
    Move the slider to adjust the image until it fits the entire screen. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Marana
    edited May 2018
    Sharanji said:
    Marana 

In some cases, the image may not scale to properly fit the entire screen area of the display. The display must first be set to its native resolution and refresh rate.  
    To adjust the screen image using the HDMI Scaling option within Radeon Settings, follow the steps below:
    Right click on your desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings. Click on the Radeon Settings icon in the System Tray
    Select Radeon Settings from the Programs menu, Select Display
    You will see the HDMI Scaling settings on the screen.  HDMI Scaling defaults at 0% and can be adjusted using the slider.
    Move the slider to adjust the image until it fits the entire screen. 

It doesn't work. The only screen that has HDMI scaling option is the TV, that is the only one connected with HDMI.
    Monitor 1 (Acer KG271): DP (passive dual link adapter) to DVI-D.
    Monitor 2 (BenQ GW2760): HDMI to DVI-D.
    Monitor 3 (Acer K222HQL): DVI-D to DVI-D.
    TV (Sony Bravia): HDMI to HDMI.

The resolution and refresh rate are correct; 1920x1080, 60hz.
    The 144hz mode is used with my other computer for games only, with DP to DP connection.

As I said, it would be an easy fix with the screen size + positioning settings on the monitor's settings menu. But those settings are not there, even though the manual shows them to be there.
  • Sharanji
    edited May 2018
    Marana 
    Marana said:
    It doesn't work. The only screen that has HDMI scaling option is the TV, that is the only one connected with HDMI.
    Monitor 1 (Acer KG271): DP (passive dual link adapter) to DVI-D.
    Monitor 2 (BenQ GW2760): HDMI to DVI-D.
    Monitor 3 (Acer K222HQL): DVI-D to DVI-D.
    TV (Sony Bravia): HDMI to HDMI.

The resolution and refresh rate are correct; 1920x1080, 60hz.
    The 144hz mode is used with my other computer for games only, with DP to DP connection.

As I said, it would be an easy fix with the screen size + positioning settings on the monitor's settings menu. But those settings are not there, even though the manual shows them to be there.

OSD menu functions can only adjust analog signals from a video card. The DVI signal is digital. Consequently, the OSD menu is incapable of adjusting the DVI signal and most of it will be inaccessible. The Brightness control is the occasional exception because it adjusts the intensity of the monitor backlights, which can function independently of any signal from your video card, analog or digital.

With that said, you should still be able to adjust the picture on your monitor through the driver software provided with your graphics card.Please check if there is any software update available for the  Graphics card.  Also, please check if you can try connecting to the HDMI port. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Marana
    Sharanji said:
    OSD menu functions can only adjust analog signals from a video card. The DVI signal is digital. Consequently, the OSD menu is incapable of adjusting the DVI signal and most of it will be inaccessible. The Brightness control is the occasional exception because it adjusts the intensity of the monitor backlights, which can function independently of any signal from your video card, analog or digital.

But why does the manual then show those settings for the OSD menu? Isn't DP also 100% digital? Those are the 2 options, so there's no analog option for the monitor, but the manual still shows the positioning settings.

Sharanji said:

With that said, you should still be able to adjust the picture on your monitor through the driver software provided with your graphics card.Please check if there is any software update available for the  Graphics card.  Also, please check if you can try connecting to the HDMI port. 

That's was the 2nd thing I checked, but the current Radeon software doesn't have those settings anymore.
    I think they were still in the Catalyst Control Center (at least with the software before CCC), but not in the current Radeon Settings. I updated the driver software just a couple days ago.
  • Marana
    There was a newer driver released in the end of April, so I updated to it.
    This created a workaround for the bottom row icons' text to get under the taskbar. Now the bottom icons are one row higher, than they were before, so the text can't reach the taskbar.

But the black edges on the sides and top are still present.
  • Marana
    OK, now it's definite, that the problem is with the monitor itself. My other computer with the DP connection has the same black borders on the monitor.
  • BlackDragon_UK
    BlackDragon_UK Member Posts: 9 New User
    Marana said:
    OK, now it's definite, that the problem is with the monitor itself. My other computer with the DP connection has the same black borders on the monitor.

Hi there

I am experiencing the same thing on my K272HL Zeroframe and have got the same response as yourself I think there is a hardware flaw in the 27" monitor range

• Sharanji
    Marana@BlackDragon_UK

I have forwarded this thread and let us wait for a response from Acer team members for more clarification on this issue.

• Marana
    Any update on this issue?

The top, left & right borders are still an issue here, although I've gotten used to it.
    And about the bottom row desktop icons, some icons still occasionally "force" themselves on the bottom row, so I'll have to move them from there. I still can't move icons there manually, since the last driver update.
  • JRBronxville
    JRBronxville Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this same problem. About 12.5% of the screen does not show up, but is black. Were there ever further comments or ACER input?
  • TheLastOneToFall
    TheLastOneToFall Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same here. Bought the ACER 271 and thought it isn't using up the whole display. Because it has those weird black borders left, right and up. So I tried everything. Changing overscan per Ninvidia, changing resolution (it was already on the highest possible setting) and so on. Then I watched some YouTube Videos about the ACER 271 and found that they all have the same issue. Look here for exemple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FQKe19XPk

Weirdly anybody complains about the black borders that seem to be leftover screen. So I think its simply carmouflaged borders and not a problem with resolution or anything. xd

I might be wrong however, because this is just what I thought, I am no expert of any kind. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.
  • delemy
    delemy Member Posts: 2 New User

Same problem with mac OS. Do you have any support for MAC users?