Seal broken without consent

sainjargal
sainjargal Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, BSB service of Mongolia, which I bought my SF315-51G SNID number (*************) this January, broke Acer seal (warranty void if seal is broken) and formatted my hard drive without notifying me. Does BSB Service have an authority to broke the seal without buyers consent? My problem was I pushed pre-installed Rapid Storage Technology "create" button, and without warning my D drive is gone, so I asked BSB support to turn it back, and they said they will do "Windows recovery",  didn't say anything about opening up my computer. 
[Edited by: Acer-Tim]

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Hi,

I would recommend returning the unit and get another one without the broken seal. Sometimes store people might put the device as a display unit. While placing the device as display unit they might format the OS or they might have changed the settings of the device.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hi sainjargal,

BSB Service LLC is an Acer authorized Service center and as part of the diagnostic and repair process they needed to open the unit, this will not void your Acer warranty as was done by an Acer authorized center.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• sainjargal
    Hi Acer, 

Thank for reply, I am very private person, and hurt that they did open my notebook without my permission. No satisfaction at all, actually it caused me so much trouble on my work since I was working on urgent project. I still didn't get my computer back even after 2.5 months passed. Even paying additional charges for renting another computer. 
    Is there any refund policy? I have no satisfaction at all, they even fooled me for not knowing how to use Intel Rapid Storage!!!!
    I just want to return it.

Acer-Manny said:

Hi sainjargal,

BSB Service LLC is an Acer authorized Service center and as part of the diagnostic and repair process they needed to open the unit, this will not void your Acer warranty as was done by an Acer authorized center.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Manny-Acer_Retired

Hi sainjargal,

Very sorry to hear you feel this way.

Can I please ask that your dissatisfaction is because the computer is not repair or because you feel that was open without your permission and had to rent for a PC while your was on the repair center?

If you please review our Acer Warranty Policy that can help answer all your questions and concerns, their no refund policy unfortunately, the Acer warranty is for repair only. Here are a few details from the warranty that might help you understand why and what happened in the repair process.

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER AND ACER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR:

DAMAGES CAUSED BY SERVICING NOT AUTHORIZED BY ACER;

DAMAGE CAUSED BY A PRODUCT OR PART THAT HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO ALTER FUNCTIONALITY OR CAPABILITY WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF ACER;

SOFTWARE, INCLUDING THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND SOFTWARE ADDED TO YOUR PRODUCT THROUGH OUR FACTORY-INTEGRATION SYSTEM, THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE, OR THE RELOADING OF SOFTWARE;

ANY EQUIPMENT OR COMPONENTS THAT WERE NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PRODUCT AS ORIGINALLY SOLD TO YOU;

LOSS OF DATA; 

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BACK UP THE CONTENTS OF YOUR HARD DRIVE BEFORE SERVICES ARE PERFORMED AND REMOVE ANY DATA FROM PARTS OR PRODUCTS RETURNED TO ACER OR AN ACER AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER, INCLUDING ANY DATA YOU HAVE STORED OR SOFTWARE YOU HAVE INSTALLED ON THE HARD DRIVE. It is possible that the contents of your hard drive will be lost or reformatted in the course of service and Acer will not be responsible for any damage to or loss of any programs, data, or other information stored on any media or any part of any Product serviced. IF DURING THE REPAIR OF THE PRODUCT THE CONTENTS OF THE HARD DRIVE ARE ALTERED, DELETED, OR IN ANY WAY MODIFIED, ACER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OF YOUR DATA WHATSOEVER. YOUR PRODUCT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU CONFIGURED TO THE ORIGINAL FACTORY CONFIGURATION (SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF SOFTWARE).

Again once you send the unit for repair to an Acer authorized repair center, you have agreed to the repair process whether is software or hardware repair and this includes diagnostic of the issues reported and a full diagnose also (this can include opening the unit and changing parts on it, Acer does not have to ask for additional permission and all parts replaced are Acer property). Also if the unit is formatted to factory settings Acer will not make a backup of the information and is not responsible of the information stored in your unit, this must be backed up before sending it to repair.

We are very sorry for any inconveniences that might cause, please let us know if there’s anything else that we can help you with.

Acer-Manny

• sainjargal
    Hi Acer, 

Thanks for reply, I am more hurt to them for intruding my privacy, I stayed with them more than hour while they try to fix my problem without any success. Then BSB asked to run "Windows recovery", and leave my notebook in repair because recovery takes 1-2 hours. I said okay (for "windows recovery"), and left for 2 hours leaving my contact (even said i will be nearby in case of urgent issue), when I came back my computer was opened up. I was hurt because they didn't say anything about opening up, didn't notify me when they have my contact, didn't apologized me for intruding my privacy even said they have right to open up when I was the one who paid for this notebook. I am still renting another computer, and the project I was working delayed for a while because of this problem.  
    By the way Intel Rapid Storage App was pre-installed when I bought the notebook, and popped up every time I start computer, and didn't notify me about losing data and hard drive (I think there have to be some notification, I was shocked when my hard drive is lost)

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    >>>didn't notify me about losing data and hard drive (I think there have to be some notification, I was shocked when my hard drive is lost>>>

I don't understand. Are you saying that BSB did NOT notify you that the HDD had to be replaced because it had failed? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• sainjargal
    Hi Acer, 
    Today I received my computer from BSB Service, they said all fine now, but my Windows is not working appropriately. 
    Windows is asking for updates again and again, once I done updates (I did all day today) it says update is complete, but after some time same thing happening again asking for updates...

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    edited June 2018
    Yes, new Win10 updates seem to happen quite frequently. I think this is fairly normal for Win10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi sainjargal,

Thank you for the update and sorry for any inconveniences, this is due to the O.S. been formatted to defaults settings, meaning that now has to update to catch up to Windows current update version. So expect this to happen for a couple of days and a few more times, you will have to be a little patient and let the unit connected to the charger at all times until all updates are finish which again make take you another day or so.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • sainjargal
    Windows virus device protection says it stopped working when i already updated it just 5 minutes ago (see attached doc), and windows device health performance also same showing red issue marks just 5 minute update later. 
    doc.docx 631.1K