New CPU

Options
Tymonek
Tymonek Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
I have the predator g3-710 with i5-6400 CPU the chipset is Intel B150. The question is could i change the i5-6400 to i7-7700 or i7-8700?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't. The reason being is because the BIOS doesn't support 7th gen CPUs and 8th Gen CPUs are supported on 300 series chipsets only(300 series or newer if someone looks at this post in the future).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Tymonek

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    Do you know any i5 CPU as good as i7 7700? If i want the i7 CPU i have to buy new motherboard right ?
  • ven98
    Options
    The best i5 you can install on your motherboard is i5-6600 I believe and it is just a little better than i5-6400. For an i7 CPU you don't need to upgrade the motherboard if it supports the same socket. For example i7-6700 uses the same socket as i5-6400, so it should be compatible, as it is 6th gen.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Tymonek

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    So i7-7700 has other socket then i7-6700 ? I7-6700K would fit ?
  • ven98
    Options
    i7-7700 has the same socket as i7-6700, but the BIOS won't support it(read my previous post). You don't need i7-6700k, as the motherboard most likely doesn't support overclocking. To find your motherboard's chipset download and run HWiNFO:

From the info I have about g3-710 the chipset is B150, which doesn't support overclocking.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    Hmm Intel B150 (Skylake PCH-H) this is the chipset, what do i have to do for i7 now ?
  • ven98
    Options
    You don't have to do anything. You just have to remove the old CPU and place the new one and then boot the system.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Tymonek

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options
    So just replace the i5-6400 for i7-7700and start the pc? 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tymonek said:

No, replace i5-6400 with i7-6700, the i7-7700 will not work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Tymonek said:

No, replace i5-6400 with i7-6700, the i7-7700 will not work.
    Would i7-6700K fit aswell ?
  • billsey
    Options
    The K will fit as well, but is not worth the extra cost when used with your motherboard. Your motherboard doesn't support overclocking the processor so there is no gain over the normal version of the 6700.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    The K will fit as well, but is not worth the extra cost when used with your motherboard. Your motherboard doesn't support overclocking the processor so there is no gain over the normal version of the 6700.
    And could me explain how am i possible to use i7 ?
  • ven98
    Options
    Because it uses the same socket. Please re-read my previous posts - they answer your question.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    Because it uses the same socket. Please re-read my previous posts - they answer your question.
    So the i7-7700 Has other pocket then i7-6700
  • Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    If i want have the i7-7700 i have to update the bios right ? 
  • billsey
    Options
    No, if you want to use the i7-7700 instead of the i7-6700 you have to change the motherboard.
  • Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    No, if you want to use the i7-7700 instead of the i7-6700 you have to change the motherboard.
    Any cheap motherboard for that i7-7700 ?
  • billsey
    Options
    Tymonek said:
    You probably don't want a cheap motherboard for a higher end processor, you want a really good motherboard. :) Likely it's not worth the difference in price between an i7-6700 and i7-7700 since you'd probably have to replace the RAM as well.
  • Tymonek

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Tymonek said:
    You probably don't want a cheap motherboard for a higher end processor, you want a really good motherboard. :) Likely it's not worth the difference in price between an i7-6700 and i7-7700 since you'd probably have to replace the RAM as well.
    why should i need to change RAM ? 
  • billsey
    Options
    I expect the speed is different between the different chipsets. That's what normally happens, when the chipset is updated to handle the new processor line, they bump up the memory speed as well.