Intel Optane on TMP259-G2-MG

CiprianD
CiprianD Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi!
The CPU is i7 - 7500U (7th generation), not sure about the chipset.
I installed Intel Optane but I'm not able to install the driver for it to actually work. I get the unsupported Bios warning.
I updated to the latest 1.32 Bios version but still the same issue.

Does Acer have any plans to update Bios to be able to run Optane?

Best Answer

• CiprianD
    Answer ✓
    The chipset for the model I have is 100 series so Intel Optane is not supported, at least 200 series is needed. Guess I'll have to get a SSD. Thank you for all the responses.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Intel Optane memory is supported on 200 series chipsets and above. If your chipset is 100 or older, no BIOS update can make the optane memory to work. To find your chipset's version download HWiNFO. Open the application then press RUN - the chipset's version will is shown here:

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• CiprianD
    The chipset is Intel Kaby Lake-U + iHDCP 2.2 Premium PCH
    So I tend to believe Intel Optane should work with this chipset. Am I right?
  • ven98
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• CiprianD
    edited April 2018
    Yes, Intel Kaby Lake-U + iHDCP 2.2 Premium PCH is what appear in the HWiNFO chipset info box.
    UEFI appears as present. I'm going to check the Intel Rapid Storage Technology if it's at least 15.5, still couln't find any define info if this chipset is at least 200. What I found is that it may be a transition version which should support Optane.

• ven98
    I am not sure if there is still mobile chipsets that support optane memory(if there are it is probably on the new coffeelake cpu laptops). As there is no 2xx on the chipset's name, I assume it doesn't fall into 200 serie chipsets. It won't be bad if you contact Acer support and ask whether your machine supports Optane.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    The other stumbling block is the BIOS, I don't thing the BIOS support is available for Optane, Optane is currently for Desktops and it will be sometime before it's ready for mobile market.
  • CiprianD
    Answer ✓
    The chipset for the model I have is 100 series so Intel Optane is not supported, at least 200 series is needed. Guess I'll have to get a SSD. Thank you for all the responses.