45 Watt Power Adapter for new chromebook with usb-c is too bulky

Marcus61
Marcus61 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
 My new chromebook (Acer Chromebook 15-new) with usb-c-power-supply was delivered with a very bulky, large and heavy 45 W Power Adapter. I want to charge the Notebook-Battery with a small 18 W Google USB-C Power Adapter with power delivery (The chromebook has no power delivery, as far as I know). The Google Loading Device is very small and light-weight, and I can use it for my other usb-c-Devices too.

My questions: 

- Is it possible to charge the chromebook with a 18 W USB C charger instead of the regular 45  W charger?

- If the Chromebook- battery charges to 100 % with the Google power-adapter:
  Is there any risk that the battery could be charged "wrong", so that the chromebook does not function properly, or damage the battery ?

- Is there a risk of damaging the parts of the chromebook because of the loading process?

Thank you very much for your answers !

Comments

• AntoJoseph
    AntoJoseph Member Posts: 83 Fixer WiFi Icon

Is it possible to charge the chromebook with a 18 W USB C charger instead of the regular 45  W charger?

Is it not possible of using 18 W USB charger.

There is a risk in charging the battery.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    You can charge with a smaller charger but you'll need to have the laptop turned off and it'll take three times as long. There should be no issues with the battery charging at the lower rate. You might want to look into a Dart charger, they're 65W and yet quite small.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.