Helios 300 overheating! Games stuttering!

punindya
punindya Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a Predator Helios 300 G3-572 laptop (i7 7700hq, 1050ti), which I bought last year in September. I had been having a fantastic gaming experience on it till a month back when my laptop started getting very hot under load. I could keep both the CPU and GPU fans at the max speed (through Predator Sense app), but this would make little difference as the CPU temp would be nearly hitting 100 degrees. Before this, I never had to ever tinker with the fan speed settings even during long hours of gaming. To give an idea about how hot my laptop gets while playing games, it is enough to tell that the area above the keyboard gets so hot, one could probably fry an egg on it. This has resulted in a lot of stutters in games it would easily handle before (like CS:GO). Another thing I noticed was that the FPS was considerably lower than before even when the game was not stuttering. I ran a few CPU and GPU benchmarks and found that the CPU was getting thermally throttled and would hence never go above 2.8GHz speed when it is supposed to go up till 3.8GHz. I raised a complaint on Acer regarding this by phone and a technician took my laptop away for a check. He sent it back to me after a day saying that the heating problem was only caused by a fan being dust-clogged, which he said he had now cleaned. Fast forward to today and my laptop is still in the same condition with little to no improvements in the gaming experience. I still have no clue what's causing all these issues and how to even get them fixed. Is it a poor quality CPU thermal paste or something else? I would just like to know what my best course of action would be here. 

Thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    How long ago were the dust bunnies removed by the technician when the heating problem returned? If it's more than a few weeks ago, I would try to alternately vacuum the air intake ports and blow thru the exhaust ports a few times to see if that resolves the issue again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• punindya
    punindya Member Posts: 6 New User
    The heating problem didn't go away at all. When the technician sent the laptop back to me, the heating problem still persisted, despite the vents being cleaned. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    OK. Then let's just assume he did nothing at all. Try vacuuming and blowing thru the ports anyway to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, then arrange for warranty service again to get it fixed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RGS
    RGS Member Posts: 3 New User
    undervolt the cpu by -120 or -110.It brings down the tempature from 80-90 to 60-70
  • ayahiawi
    ayahiawi Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey, 

I have Helios 300 15" and I used to have high CPU and GPU temp. no matter what I do it still HOT!!
    until I had mine undervolt -120 and I repasted my CPU and GPU with "silver", its risky and require you to be careful. but it worked VERY well. not the Temp won't go more than 70-74 when I stress test them.

Thank you