Why won't my battery last for at least an hour lately?

Options
donzki27
donzki27 Member Posts: 2 New User
I have a 9 mo. old aspire S3 i5. First few months, it would run and last for 3 hours max playing FB games and watching videos. The past 3 months, I have noticed it won't last for at least an hour. I have been constantly using it to do some tasks, but I always have it plugged in, just to make sure I won't lose my work. Would having it always plugged in damage the battery? Is there anything I can do to make it last longer on battery? Help please!

Answers

• Zacarias
    Zacarias Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Battery is a consumable and it has specified charging and discharging cycles,so charge the battery completely(don't overcharge it) and use your n/b in battery mode itself till it is completely drained.Now the battery backup is reduced,so check for epower management software of acer which will optimize your battery usage.

donzki27 wrote:
    I have a 9 mo. old aspire S3 i5. First few months, it would run and last for 3 hours max playing FB games and watching videos. The past 3 months, I have noticed it won't last for at least an hour. I have been constantly using it to do some tasks, but I always have it plugged in, just to make sure I won't lose my work. Would having it always plugged in damage the battery? Is there anything I can do to make it last longer on battery? Help please!

• donzki27
    donzki27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you. I do understand about the life cycle of any battery according to use. What I don't understand is... what do you mean "don't overcharge"??? You see sometimes it would fully be charged yet I still never get to pull off the adapter while I work, sometimes overnight cause I never want to be disrupted with a draining battery. Is there any way I could prolong or extend the running time of my battery? Cause I suppose this ultrabook's battery isn't detachable/ replaceable. 

• billo1
    billo1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, I am having the same problem! I am wondering if you find a solution?

Thanks!

• Alan-London
    Options

Have you changed your power settings?
    Typical ways to prolong battery life could be:

Reduce screen brightness.
    Turn off Bluetooth (and WiFi if not in use).
    Turn off keyboard backlight (if fitted).
    Remove any USB peripherals if not required.

As to overcharging, don't worry. You can't overcharge your battery. Charging circuits reduce the charging rate as the battery becomes 'full'. Not doing so could be extremely dangerous with Lithium batteries (explosion/fire). Consequently, designers go to great lengths to ensure charging circuits work within battery specifications.

Adopt the best charging regime that works for you. There are many 'whacky' methods just now as charging issues seem to be 'flavour of the month' but my personal preference is to run plugged in for three or four days (thus 100% charge) and then run on battery only and allow to discharge *fully*. Follow that with a *100%* charge and repeat. Bear in mind that battery life is reduce by charging. Typically, battery life is rated by a maximum 'cycles' figure but, leaving it permanently fully charged will also reduce it's working life. You are unlikely to find a de facto answer.

This discussion has been closed.