Acer Aspire E 15 - Can't access settings, menus, any softwares, and can't click on anything

Options
Arcade
Arcade Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Yesterday I got home from school and tried to turn on my laptop (an E5-574-58IM, had for only a couple of years) but when it got to my desktop, half of the desktop icons were the default file icon and I couldn't start any software. If I clicked on something, or moused over the task bar, the mouse turned into the blue loading circle. I tried turning it off and then on again, with the power button since I cannot access the start menu. Over and over, but it was the same thing every time. When I first start it up again, I see my login screen, but if I click it automatically logs me back in (skipping my password input).
I've tried a lot of things based on what I've found on the internet, but it's hard when I can't access anything.
Sidenote: The night before, I had downloaded Fallout 3 off of Steam, and then had downloaded something else to help it run on Windows 10. It's possible, of course, that the second thing gave me a virus, but I can't remember what it was, and I didn't find it in my search history (I checked from my synced chromebook) so I think it may have either been something official, made FOR the game, or some sort of Windows 10 update.
If I could find a way to restore it to a version just before that night (So I don't lose files or game progress) that would be great. Any help is appreciated. If the only solution is to completely restore it to factory settings please let me know of a way to get all of my data off first.
Thank you!

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you tried pressing ctrl-alt-del at the same time ? Should bring up a menu.

May also be able to press alt-F10 repeatedly after pressing the power on button to start the device & get into recovery mode. "Repair" is an option.

• Arcade

Tinkerer

Options
    padgett said:

Have you tried pressing ctrl-alt-del at the same time ? Should bring up a menu.

May also be able to press alt-F10 repeatedly after pressing the power on button to start the device & get into recovery mode. "Repair" is an option.

I've tried ctrl alt del many times at many different screens. task manager never worked.
    I did the second thing you suggested and it got me to a menu with some options like system restore, which is what i need. however, when i tried it (using 3 different restore points), it would load for a while and then tell me that system restore did not complete successfully. So ***** close and yet so ***** far! Any idea what to do about that?
    Also, I remembered what I had downloaded: Games For Windows. Looked it up and nothing like this has ever happened to people who have downloaded so I don't think that's the problem.
  • padgett
    Options
    Getting the circle on the task bar often means Windows is updating. Have you just tried leaving it on overnight ?
  • Arcade

Tinkerer

Options
    padgett said:
    Getting the circle on the task bar often means Windows is updating. Have you just tried leaving it on overnight ?
    I'll be honest, I don't count on it working. But hey, I've only kept it on for an hour at most at a time, so maybe you're right and Windows is just horribly slow. It's 2 pm now, I'll leave it on for the the rest of the day. Hopefully my repeated tampering didn't do anything to impede the possibility of it updating, if you are right. Thank you!
  • Arcade

Tinkerer

Options
    padgett said:
    okay so I've been trying that since yesterday. What's been happening is that after a while the desktop icons all show up as the actual icons, and the items on the task bar one by one appear. I can even move the taskbar items around. However, I still can't open anything and if I click, the blue loading wheel comes back up. Often times everything goes white and a box pops up saying "microsoft windows is not responding" (or something similar) and my only two options are to "close application" or wait for it to work, which it never does.
    So in summary, leaving the computer on to wait makes the desktop look completely normal but I still can't do anything and windows keeps crashing!
    I'm trying, once again, to reset it from the alt-f10 menu, but I assume like last time it'll be like "can't complete" because windows literally can't load. Oof.
    by the way, i've tried leaving it on all night but without me there to move the mouse occasionally, the computer will eventually shut off.
  • padgett
    Options
    When the desktop is up, try hitting ctrl-alt-del at the same time and see if a menu appears. If it does, select Task Manager and see if something is using the most CPU or MEMORY.
  • Jasmine831
    Jasmine831 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey  Arcade, I'm currently  having this exact same problem  only mine occurred after a windows update. Do you remember  what you ended  up  doing  for this situation ? I also have an aspire e15
  • Arcade

Tinkerer

Options
    @Jasmine831 unfortunately I don't concretely remember what I did, since this was a year ago, and I'm not using that same computer anymore. But I did eventually fix the problem. What I might have done is reset the battery. In that model of computer, there's a little hole on the bottom (would have a battery icon next to it) big enough only for a pin or a toothpick, and to reset the battery you'd insert a pin or toothpick or something and press it for about 15 seconds. Sometimes this fixes things. If that doesn't work, there might be a way to access system restory from the alt+f10 menu, but other than that I don't know. Window's updates are constantly causing problems for people. I hope you find a way to fix it; You may just have to mess around and dig through the internet a bit more. Good luck!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    My suggestion to you all is this, do a "Disk cleanup" and a "Clean up system files" go to > "This PC" > your boot drive e.g. C: > right click > properties. If you haven't done a "Disk cleanup" and a "Clean up system files" then there could be GB's of useless files that are slowing your system down and these icon delays is a first sign, btw, do this every week and after a windows update also especially a version update!