Swapping Graphic Cards For Acer Predator G6-710

AshleyJWilliams
AshleyJWilliams Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

I'm fairly new to PCs. I recently attempted to upgrade my CPU from an Intel i7-6700k to an i7-8700k and found out the hard way the motherboard doesn't accept CPU upgrades which was very upsetting, although certainly my fault. What I'm wondering is, can i expect similar issues when trying to swap graphic cards? My Predator shipped with an Nvidia GTX 980. Lets say for argument sake I wanted to swap it out for another GTX 980, whether its MSI, EVGA, etc. Will I run into compatibility issues? 

Thank you, 

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    If the GPU is able to fit in the case and the PSU is sufficient, you should not run into any compatibility issues.

The reason why i7-8700k didn't work on your motherboard isn't only because the motherboard doesn't accept CPU upgrades, but also for coffee lake CPUs a 300 series motherboard(for example z370) is needed even if it supports the same socket. The motherboard in your PC is z170, which is 100 series, so the chipset doesn't support coffee lake.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    The Kaby Lake CPUs listed in @brummyfan2 userbenchmark link aren't compatible with your mainboard. Your mainboard is only compatible with Skylake CPUs.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    If the GPU is able to fit in the case and the PSU is sufficient, you should not run into any compatibility issues.

The reason why i7-8700k didn't work on your motherboard isn't only because the motherboard doesn't accept CPU upgrades, but also for coffee lake CPUs a 300 series motherboard(for example z370) is needed even if it supports the same socket. The motherboard in your PC is z170, which is 100 series, so the chipset doesn't support coffee lake.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    The Kaby Lake CPUs listed in @brummyfan2 userbenchmark link aren't compatible with your mainboard. Your mainboard is only compatible with Skylake CPUs.
    I'm not an Acer employee.