New to chromebooks and need help

Chris_Newton
Chris_Newton Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi all

I am coming from a windows background but have defided to jump into the world of chromebooks.

The one i am interested in is : Acer Chromebook R 11 CB5-132T 2-in-1

Just a few things i am curious about

Will this come with the google play store installed?
Also will this machine get upates for the next few years? i dont want to but an out of date machine .

Many Thanks for your help

Chris

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Chris_Newton 

This model is listed in the list of devices supporting Chrome OS Systems that supports Android Apps.
    https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

This model may require a file system migration and be updated to Chrome OS version 61 or later before they can use Android apps. Learn more about using Android apps on older Chromebooks.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Chris_Newton
    Many thanks

So this is classed as an old machine then?

I don't want to buy it and it be out of date and slow in a year's time 
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Chris_Newton

This is not a old model, you need to 
     migrate user profile data to Android N’s file system. The file system migration is a User setting just like enabling Android apps on Chromebooks. This means that the setting applies to managed accounts, not devices. You do not need to worry of updates, this model is  listed on the listed of device on the Chromium.org page.
    If you wish to get another model, please visit https://uk-store.acer.com/notebooks/chromebooks

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Chris_Newton
    Thanks for all the help and sorry if these questions are basic.

What I mean by updates is I assume that the os gets updated frequently and I'm just worried that sooner rather than later mine will stop being updated.

What do you mean by its listed device on chromium.org page? What does that signify? 
    Thanks again 
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Hi,

Chromebook auto updates the firmware whenever there is an update available. so there is no end for chrome support.

I use a chromebook which is 4years old and its still running perfectly with latest firmware.

chromium.org gives the information on software info and allows you to download chromium OS this can be used on non chrome computers. Like installing OS on a windows based computer to use chrome features
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer