GX-792-77BL

Options
pcesca
pcesca Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
My computer 17X GX 792BL came with 32 GB ram, 512 SSD, and 1TB hard disk.
I would like to add 32GB of RAM extra and another, 1 or 2 TB, SSD (So the system become 64 GB RAM, 1 SSD 512, 1 SSD 1 or 2 TB, and 1 hard disk 1 TB). I am assuming that I have 2 slots for 2400 DDR 4 RAM and a connection available for the NVMe SSD 960 Samsung PRO. 
1) Is these assumption correct? or I need to remove the current SSD from its location to install the 960 Samsung pro? 
I read here that the RAM could be Kingston or Hynix: To match the RAM memory the only way is to open the laptop and check what ram do I have?  or is there any program that can tell me which one I have?

Thanks 

Rob

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. You have 3 M.2 slots, one of which is NVMe and the other 2 are M.2 sata. The SSD(I think it is toshiba) that comes with the laptop is installed on the NVMe port as it is NVMe SSD, so in order to use the maximum out of the 960 pro you have to swap their places and connect the toshiba to an M.2 sata port. This means that it will work on sata 3 speeds. To take a use of the 3rd M.2 port a 'special' bracket is need, as it is 110mm long instead of 80mm, which means the SSD won't reach to the screw hole.

To check the type of RAM that inisde the laptop use HWiNFO. The system has 4 RAM slots in total available from which 2 are occupied by the 32GB RAM(16x2).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    To hold the SSD you need this bracket or similar or use 22110 SSD.

You will also needed additional screws:
    -1 screw to hold the m.2 ssd for the extension bracket - part number: 86.Q04N5.012
    -1 screw to hold the SSD bracket+SSD for the chassis - part number: 86.RGV0U.002
    - Part number of the extension bracket: 33.Q04N5.001

For the 3rd SSD port(is a normal 2280 port) and the same type of screw is needed - part number: 86.RGV0U.002

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. You have 3 M.2 slots, one of which is NVMe and the other 2 are M.2 sata. The SSD(I think it is toshiba) that comes with the laptop is installed on the NVMe port as it is NVMe SSD, so in order to use the maximum out of the 960 pro you have to swap their places and connect the toshiba to an M.2 sata port. This means that it will work on sata 3 speeds. To take a use of the 3rd M.2 port a 'special' bracket is need, as it is 110mm long instead of 80mm, which means the SSD won't reach to the screw hole.

To check the type of RAM that inisde the laptop use HWiNFO. The system has 4 RAM slots in total available from which 2 are occupied by the 32GB RAM(16x2).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    To hold the SSD you need this bracket or similar or use 22110 SSD.

You will also needed additional screws:
    -1 screw to hold the m.2 ssd for the extension bracket - part number: 86.Q04N5.012
    -1 screw to hold the SSD bracket+SSD for the chassis - part number: 86.RGV0U.002
    - Part number of the extension bracket: 33.Q04N5.001

For the 3rd SSD port(is a normal 2280 port) and the same type of screw is needed - part number: 86.RGV0U.002

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• birdjunk
    birdjunk Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    is the third m.2 port (the last pictured) the one that supports NVME?

mine shipped with the first two m.2 ports with regular ssd drives in a raid 0 configuration.  ideally, i would just put in a new 1TB nvme drive in the third port and copy my OS over to it and have the raid 0 drives as a secondary.

follow up question would be:
    if this is not the case and, say, port 1 is the NVME port, could i put the new NVME drive in port 1, and then just swap the raid 0 drives to port 2 and port 3 without having to reconfigure anything software-wise?  as in, if i did the physical swap and booted up, would it still see the raid 0 drives that were now in port 2 and 3 and function properly?

thanks!