PC not being able to function properly.

AdenK
AdenK Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Hello.

My Acer Predator is suddenly acting up. One day, I'm using my PC fine at night. Next morning, turned it on, still fine. Went out for the whole day and came back after probably more than 12 hours and tried to turn on my PC. Welcome screen etc seems slower. Going onto the desktop screen, move wouldn't move. Nothing would work. Cursor would move after 2 minutes when physically moving the mouse in real life. I have to force shut down my PC and then it would suddenly be OK. This is the third day I'm force shutdown-ing my PC. After the forceshut down, everything seems to work and the next day, it just repeats.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try a battery reset, switch off the laptop, disconnect AC adapter, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15-20 Mins before starting again.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • AdenK
    I'm using the Acer Predator desktop. The G3 model.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Any chance there is an update trying to happen in the background, or a virus scan, or both? Fire up Task Manager and see where the CPU and RAM is being used. You may just have to wait for the process to complete to get back to normal.

This type of symptom can also happen when a poorly written drive is asking for the bus constantly. Have you added any hardware lately? What about 'automatic driver update' type software?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AdenK
    Nothing was added. I don't think anything is trying to happen in the background. If it was, after forcing the shutdown would cause the issue to persist.
  • AdenK
    I can't even do anything. The computer doesn't respond to clicks. Mouse movements takes 2 minutes to move.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    AdenK said:
    I'm using the Acer Predator desktop. The G3 model.

Sorry, remove the mains, press the power button for 30 secs, let it rest for a while before starting again.
  • AdenK
    It works after pressing the power button for 30 seconds. I can't be doing this every night, though. That's what I meant by forcing shut down.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    try to do a cleanboot on services and startups,remove unwanted programs,clean the temp and prefetch files. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Member Posts: 3 New User
    how do you"fire up task manager"? What is  prefetch file and where is it? Since its question time how do you do a cleanboot on services and startups?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018
    said:
    how do you"fire up task manager"? What is  prefetch file and where is it? Since its question time how do you do a cleanboot on services and startups?
    The easiest way to launch Task Manager in Windows 10 is to right click on the Start Menu and choose Task Manager from the list. You can also get to it easily by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and choosing it. Prefetch files are the temporary internet files your system store to make opening common pages faster. When you open a web page the images and such are cached so the next time you try to open the same page you aren't required to download them again. The files automatically get deleted after enough time has elapsed and you haven't reopened the web page. To do a clean boot, click the start menu button and type 'msconfig' (without the quote marks) and press return. That will open the System Configuration app and allow you to Get into a clean boot by:
    <li><ol><li>On the <b>General</b> tab, click <b>Selective startup</b></li><br><li>Clear the <b>Load startup items</b> check box.	</li><br><li>Click the <b>Services</b> tab.	</li><br><li>Select the <b>Hide all Microsoft services</b> check box (at the bottom).	</li><br><li>Click <b>Disable all</b>.	</li><br><li>Click the <b>Startup</b> tab.	</li><br><li>Click <b>Open Task Manager</b>.	</li><br><li>On the <b>Startup</b> tab, right-click each enabled startup item and select <b>Disable</b>.	</li><br><li>Click <b>OK</b>.	</li><br><li>Click <b>Restart</b>.</li></ol></li>

When you are done with diagnostics you can go back to normal by launching msconfig again and undo those changes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.