G9-793 overheating

Walmartyr
Walmartyr Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've had the laptop for about a week now. After a couple days of having it I replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu with IC Diamond. Well I'm still hitting high 90s and thermal throttling, there was absolutely no temp change from the stock paste. So is it possible for this laptop to even run at full speed without throttling or should I return it?

Logs are from playing RB6: Siege maxed out settings, and no OC on CPU/GPU for around 15 minutes.

Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Certainly possible as my own G9-793 does.  Try undervolting the CPU with ThrottleStop, elevate the rear of the notebook, you can also disable Turbo is the game is not CPU intensive.

Typical gaming load, probably HellBlade, averaging approximately 75C - 80C, this is with the CPU running with Turbo enabled at 3.4GHz, if the game/load can run at 2.8GHz with Turbo disabled temperatures will drop significantly.

All CPU Cores at 3.4GHZ, no throttling.  Follow the guides for ThrottleStop at the top of the forum. Start with -80mV undervolt. Every CPU is unique so you'll need to increase the undervolt incrementally.  My own G9-793 is undervolted to -131mV, don't chase the maximum value as it may lead to instability.

This with Prime95 Small FFT's running which is a brutal synthetic assault on the CPU, although the temperature is high no thermal throttling is occurring with again all CPU Core's at maximum frequency.

Q-6

• Walmartyr
    I'll give that a shot after I run tests again. I just pulled it all apart and re-pasted again, this time using a bit more than I normally would use. The coverage of my last application looked fine, but it was my first time using ICd so I'm not sure if I need to use the same amount or more than the Arctic paste I usually use. It seems to be running about 10° cooler on idle, which it also did when I first pasted it. I'm gonna run RB6 again on the same stuff and see what I come up with. Fingers crossed that it helped, but either way I will try undervolting as well.

I'll update this in a few minutes with the results.
  • Walmartyr
    Guess I can't edit my last post? Anyway looks like that 10° drop held for games and no throttling, for now. I'm going to give undervolting a shot also, but I'm happy with the results. 

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    FWIW my G9-793 is on stock paste idles around 38C/40C, ambient is around 25C/26C

Q-6