Acer ATC-710-UR64 Refuses to Boot with PCIe card. Will need BIOS Update but how do I do that?

plasmacam
plasmacam Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
OK, Brand new Acer computer i7, 8 GB memory Windows 10. Single lane PCIe slot.

I disabled "secure boot" in BIOS and checked to see if it stayed off after re-boot and it did.

With the single lane card installed the computer will not boot and will loop in "preparing repair" forever.

Soon as I take the card out, the computer will make a short repair and boot normally.

I realize "secure boot" is trying to save us from ourselves but now that was disabled by me.. So what other surprises does Acer have for me?

I called acer support and I was just told by ACER that this product has no warranty. I just bought it on 1/2/2018 from Newegg. The only problem I have is the 2016 R0I-A3 BIOS is out of date and they want to charge me 139.00 for a 1 year warranty just to update the BIOS.. Hard to believe Acer would do that. I don't want warranty, I just need the BIOS updated.

Are there any solutions as to update tools so I could do the update myself?

Thanks in Advance,  -Paul

Comments

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi Paul,
    There's no support for M.2 PCIe SSD in your model, you can install a M.2 SATA SSD and it's supported, as for your BIOS, you have the latest BIOS available for your model.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/476459/aspire-tc-710-ur61-m-2-ports

• plasmacam
    Hi Brummyfan2,

Thanks for the reply, it's not an SSD card I'm trying to install. It's an AXXON parallel port card to run a plasma table. I just need it to boot up so I can install the software to run the PCIe card. I have a Dell with the same PCIe card and it's working well. I just wonder why it won't boot in the ACER? 
  • plasmacam
    OK, I'm done with Acer and zero support. I can't believe Acer would do this to me!  I ordered and received another refurbished Dell with PCIe slots and the Dell with the same PCIe parallel adapter card boots and works perfectly.. 

Goodby Acer! Please remove me from this board!